Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

unhappy about weight gain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Recently i've put on 1/2 a stone. Which is really unusual because i always seem to bob around the 8 stone mark. So i think it's probably pill related. Anyways, because i'm so small and all my friends are bigger than me they tell me i'm being silly because i'm quite upset about it. It's not that I feel fat compared to others, it's just quite heavy for me as i've always been around 8 stone. I know it sounds selfish because theres bigger people who put on more but i've been really knocked by it and constantly feel fat now. I'm wanting to loose my fat belly (because all the weight goes there) for summer and when i go on holiday early november.
I just feel so discusting for putting it on and can't stop thinking about it. Anyone got any good food tips for losing some weight and some tips on my self esteem?

Comments

• Options
    It annoys me too when people think its ok for me to put on weight because they are fatter anyway. Its not about that though is it...its about your normal healthy size and proportions.

You havent put on a great amount. Ive put on a stone over the last few months due to comfort eating and being too busy to stay healthy.

Its a common side effect of the pill, when i was on it my body took a few months to kind of reach its new normal "pill" weight, but if you want to make yourself feel better you could start getting daily exercise or eat a bit healthier?

Just dont be stupid and stop eating or anything, you'll only make yourself ill in the long term and will put it all back on again.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    It annoys me too when people think its ok for me to put on weight because they are fatter anyway. Its not about that though is it...its about your normal healthy size and proportions.

You havent put on a great amount. Ive put on a stone over the last few months due to comfort eating and being too busy to stay healthy.

Its a common side effect of the pill, when i was on it my body took a few months to kind of reach its new normal "pill" weight, but if you want to make yourself feel better you could start getting daily exercise or eat a bit healthier?

Just dont be stupid and stop eating or anything, you'll only make yourself ill in the long term and will put it all back on again.
    yes it's SO annoying! they're all saying 'well its ok for you because you're tiny anyway' gr, so i've got to be happy till i get to your size? then is it ok to moan? phew
  • Options
    i suffer from low self esteem too due to my weight.

im about 5ft1 and weigh just over 8 1/2 stone which i KNOW is not fat but i always feel like i am - even if other people say im not.

but yeah i agree, i put on a few pounds last term at uni and i told my mate (who is bigger) and she just laughed and said im being stupid for worrying about it. which i found quite inconsiderate actually because it doesnt really matter how much you weigh - putting on weight is putting on weight!!!

as for losing the lbs, ive found weightwatchers is reeeally good. im on it now. am determined to get back down to 8stone!! if im as good as last time, i should get down to it in about.. 6 weeks (lose 1-2lbs a week)
  • Options
    I feel exactly the same as you do at the moment to be honest.

I've put one some weight since last year. Its not a great amount but it bothers me. My friends think I am being silly. They claim I'm not fat and all that crap but when I look in the mirror I see a big fat blob. I hate my weight. I feel fat and heavy.

I'm going to go on a diet and start going the gym as soon as my exams are over, nothing extreme. Just so I can lose that bit of extra weight and get down to a weight that I am comfortable with.

Don't go on any extreme diet or anything. To be honest, if its mainly your belly that is bothering you then maybe you can cut out a bit of the crap in your diet and do a bit more excercise aimed at toning your stomach.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I feel exactly the same as you do at the moment to be honest.

I've put one some weight since last year. Its not a great amount but it bothers me. My friends think I am being silly. They claim I'm not fat and all that crap but when I look in the mirror I see a big fat blob. I hate my weight. I feel fat and heavy.
    yep :yes: i just look in the mirror and want to just chop my belly off
    i'm gonna cut out crap and eat a bit better, got a few exercises for my tummy too
  • Options
    how long has it taken you to put on half a stone?

the pill doesn't make you put weight on it increases your appetite. have you been eating more?
  • Options
    Guilty also!
    I'm so used to being 7 1/2 stone that now I'm 8 I feel hideously huge :(
    I seem to have fatter days than others, but still, I hate it. I'm a vegetarian, and I eat very well. I do a bit of excerise too and plenty of walking, but it still upsets me that I'm this weight. It really is just my belly. I have a bad habit of sucking it in sometimes.
    When I'm lying with a guy I just feel incredibly self conscious.

Giving up crisps, however, was quite possibly one of the best things that could ever happen to me! Tee hee!
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Guilty also!
    I'm so used to being 7 1/2 stone that now I'm 8 I feel hideously huge :(
    I seem to have fatter days than others, but still, I hate it. I'm a vegetarian, and I eat very well. I do a bit of excerise too and plenty of walking, but it still upsets me that I'm this weight. It really is just my belly. I have a bad habit of sucking it in sometimes.
    When I'm lying with a guy I just feel incredibly self conscious.

Giving up crisps, however, was quite possibly one of the best things that could ever happen to me! Tee hee!

how tall are you if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    I'm 5 3ish. I know that 7 1/2 is probably underweight for my height, huh?
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:

well i'm 5'4" and 8 stone 10 and i'm certainly not fat! i'm a size 8 but i have big boobs. think they must weigh a bit!

eta:

according to http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm, if you're 7.5 stone your BMI is 16.9.

BMI Categories:

Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    Overweight = 25-29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:

:yes:

your ideal weight (assuming you have a slight build, as you are so light) is about 8st 3lbs.
  • Options
    how long has it taken you to put on half a stone?

the pill doesn't make you put weight on it increases your appetite. have you been eating more?
    not very long! i probably have been eating a bit more...probably about 2 months
  • Options
    Try cutting down and exercising more, but it nothing seems to happen after a month or two and you still think its pill related go back to the doctors and have a chat, as you may need to change brands. I think my weight gain is due to too much booze.
  • Options
    The lighter you are, the more noticable a 1/2 stone gain will be. If you go for a power walk every day for 45mins on top of what you normally do, I bet it'll melt away easy as pie...
  • Options
    BMI is useful... but its not always accurate. For example, a person who is more muscular will weigh more than one who is flabby, and they could be placed in the obese category whereas the person who is physically fatter is not.

but that can't be the case with a person who is underweight, can it?
  • Options
    Sorry... what's BMI?
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Sorry... what's BMI?

Body Mass Index
  • Options
    Nothings perfect, but BMI is pretty good, and its generally easy to see where its giving false indications.

The most important thing is fitness rather than weight, so make sure that you haven't started eating junk now your on the pill. If you are fit enough to do what you want to do, then your confidence should come back.

Also if your friends are being supportive then its probably beacause they are jealous as you look better than them. Use that though to aid your confidence!
    h
  • Options
    Hmm... It's all too confusing for me!
  • Options
    Ive put on a little bit recently ive noticed as my trousers have got tighter around my waist. Just do situps/jog/swim etc...ive just started doing situps recently and have already noticed a bit of difference.
  • Options
    well its all dissapeared now. I went to visit my bf this weekend only for him to end up in hospital having his appendix out. I spent most of saturday just sat in there with him and all i ate that day was a few crisps, a biscuit and some toast. I was just so caught up in it all and so worried i couldn't eat.
    I ended up going over to my cousins in bournemouth and stayed there saturday night, and came home yesterday. And all i managed to eat then was 2 slices of toast, bit of an egg, some chips, a few biscuits and a sandwich when i got in.
    I weighed myself last night and i'm now 8 stone 1. I was about 8 stone 5 or 6 when i left on friday!
  • Options
    So basically... if I just skip a couple of meals for the next couple of days, it'll be gone?
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    So basically... if I just skip a couple of meals for the next couple of days, it'll be gone?

Probably, but not the best way of doing it! Very unhealthy.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    a few crisps, a biscuit and some toastwas 2 slices of toast, bit of an egg, some chips, a few biscuits and a sandwich

not the best of diets! :p

just because you lost weight from not eating much it isn't advisable to keep it up.
  • Options
    not the best of diets! :p

just because you lost weight from not eating much it isn't advisable to keep it up.
    i'm not doing it deliberatly. when i get stressed i loose my apetite, i'm just worried about exams and my bf more than anything - it'll return eventually. As long as i eat little and often i'll be ok.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:

it'll be gone until the next time you eat properly.

(which you'll have to at some point to avoid dying/damaging yourself)

in the long run, it'll just make you more prone to piling on the pounds. a nice, healthy, steady intake of food and moderate exercise is ALWAYS the best way to lose weight for good.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    it'll be gone until the next time you eat properly.

(which you'll have to at some point to avoid dying/damaging yourself)

in the long run, it'll just make you more prone to piling on the pounds. a nice, healthy, steady intake of food and moderate exercise is ALWAYS the best way to lose weight for good.

Yeah... I eat really well though. And it sucks, cause I can't understand how I came to gain this weight. Actually...thinking about the comfort eating I've been doing in the past few months it probably makes sense.

Tis summer now, and I'll enjoy a nice little brisk walk every day =)
    (Not that I don't do any walking at the moment)
  • Options
    As long as you're still in your average area I think it's fine. You need to start changing habits/exercise more if you start going into the 'overweight' area.
  • Options
    I just have problems convincing myself that I look even okayish.