Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Living in Tenerife

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone ever lived in Tenerife??? I so wanna go but dont know how easy it will be to get a job and somewere to live and how much money i need!!

Anyone any ideas????
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Just saw a TV programme on the other day on Sky TV about lanzarote Airport - in it they had this couple that had saved up £4,000 to start a new life there from Scotland and had all their money stolen like onthe first night .. not sure if they were carrying all that in cash or what, but they ended up going home to Scotland..

Worth trying to catch the programme though, I'm sure some of the situations are similar. to going to Tenerife.
  • Options
    you could try and apply for a job as a holiday rep - I know a couple of people who have gone to cyprus to do entertainment - then once your there you could look for more permentant jobs.

however i do know that the Canary Islands are not classed as part of the EU so getting a job might be as straight forward.

Do you speak spanish?
    Do you have any marketable skills or qualifications?
    Do you have any money saved up to live on whist your searching for job's/accomodation?
  • Options
    Has anyone ever lived in Tenerife??? I so wanna go but dont know how easy it will be to get a job and somewere to live and how much money i need!!

Anyone any ideas????

Do you mean live there forever or just for the summer? It's usually pretty easy to pick up work in holiday resorts over the summer, just book a cheap deal and ask while you are out there.
  • Options
    i have worked in Mallorca and unless you want to work in a british bar or restaurant and work 10 hour shifts without a free day you would be best to look at repping or even hotel entertainment but tour operators tend to have their own entertainers, I was a rep and i quit as i did not agree with the way things were going down.
    Finding a job and an appartment and getting the working papers was real hard and i had made friends with locals and learnt Spanish well enough to go to get a sick note at the doctors have an interview and get my cat all her jabs at the vets. Last summer i had all my savings stolen and i felt i had, had enough i am now spending my 1st summer in england for 6 years and its a real struggle. I deserve better than i am getting that is for sure.
    People think it is really easy to go out and get work but unless yuo want to hand out tickets at a club and get fired when a younger blonder sexier girl comes along think twice. the summer season usually starts may the bars take whoever is there in may while they can then in June the tourists come and some dont want to go and i know a lot of people who have found themselves out on the beach as they lost their job in June to a holidaymaker who did not want to go home