Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Futility of politics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I’ve just been watching the channel 4 news and midway through I was struck with an acute sense of futility. After watching a piece on Iraq and then one on the imminent departure of Tony Blair, I felt initially a chronic lack of quality and unbiased information on the topics and secondly that even if I was as reasonably informed as it is possible to be, what could I do about it? I can put my name against one of the opposing parties at the next election (an act I am in no way convinced would bring about any change) or perhaps write a letter to my local MP, but other than appeasing my own conscience at best, the effectiveness of said actions are essentially nil. I could protest but depending on the level of inconvenience I cause the government, laws may be passed to prevent the little nuisance I may cause.

I guess what I’m getting at is, is the acquisition of knowledge enough? And presuming that knowledge is accurate, what does it practically achieve?

Comments

• Options
    I wrote a letter to my MP. He sent me a postcard (well, one of his staff did) saying he'll write to me in the next couple of weeks. Never did. Thing is, he's got like a 6000 majority so theres no point even turning up polling day. And whats more, why would I want to vote for the alternative? The election flyers are truly abismall, we had one through of a conservative party member standing in front of groby pool, a local scenic spot, then on the other side, standing in front of a rubbish tip, with the line "What do you want?".

Just ridiculous how he portrayed himself as going out and caring about nature when by the size of him ;) I reckon the most going out he does is to waddle to his car to go to the supermarket to buy some ready meals.

When was the last time you saw someone actually doing something constructive rather than walking around with a group of supporters handing out flyers. Any MP who can spare 1/2 hour, without the media coverage, to go and do some litter picking, or supervising kids at the local youth club, or even just walking peoples dogs, will get my vote.

As yet, nothing :(
  • Options
    You only have power in a democracy if a lot of other people share your views.
  • Options
    Any MP who can spare 1/2 hour, without the media coverage, to go and do some litter picking, or supervising kids at the local youth club, or even just walking peoples dogs, will get my vote.
    How will you now he did it then? :p
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You only have power in a democracy if a lot of other people share your views.

Do you think that otherwise trying to obtain a political existence is a fairly futile exercise?
  • Options
    Do you think that otherwise trying to obtain a political existence is a fairly futile exercise?
    I think you'll never be satisfied with whatever power you manage to obtain through political means, yes.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Once again, this is not a democracy. It's oligarchy.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    How will you now he did it then? :p

By doing it in my back garden :p
  • Options
    Of course politics is futile. The problems that come from politics aren't a result of the wrong ideology, its a result of fucked up monkeys with opposable thumbs doing what they always do. Anyone who thinks there is a political solution to the worlds problems is deluding themselves.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Of course politics is futile. The problems that come from politics aren't a result of the wrong ideology, its a result of fucked up monkeys with opposable thumbs doing what they always do. Anyone who thinks there is a political solution to the worlds problems is deluding themselves.

If you're in agreement with the the people making the rules, then politics works just fine for you. If you're not in agreement, however, it doesn't.
  • Options
    After watching a piece on Iraq and then one on the imminent departure of Tony Blair, I felt initially a chronic lack of quality and unbiased information on the topics and secondly that even if I was as reasonably informed as it is possible to be, what could I do about it?
    What's unbiased information, just out of interest?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    What's unbiased information, just out of interest?
    They say it's supposed to be pure information, with no opinion in it and nothing hidden. You can find it under "myths and legends" in any encyclopedia.