Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Part Time

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apart from looking on ACAS is their anywhere online i can see a list of all the rules & regulations that apply to part time worker's ?

I hear my work are being a big shower of sh*tes again and i want to be prepared in case they start on me next, because they'll not be walking all over me, no way.

ETA: I'll just ask this whilst i'm browsing in case i don't find what i'm looking for.

Should part time workers be given a contract, or have to sign a contract of employment? Should PT workers be given a written statement of the main particulars of employment ?

Can someone also explain something to me please.

Companies are allowed to pay less than the minimum wage ? This happend to me when i worked briefly for an electrical outlet.

My current job is shift work, they say they do not pay hourly but pay per shift however as far as i am aware we wont be getting any pay rises [i.e inline with the cost of living going up] and more importantly when the minimum wage goes up later this year. How can this be allowed ? It's not like we get bonus' or anything.

Another point I'd like to ask.
What is the statutory disciplinary procedure?

* If an employer is contemplating dismissal - or action short of dismissal such as loss of pay or seniority - they must follow a three-step disciplinary procedure. This statutory procedure involves:

- a statement in writing of what it is the employee is alleged to have done
- a meeting to discuss the situation, and
- the right of appeal

* If an employer does not follow the minimum procedure then an employment tribunal may judge the dismissal 'automatically unfair'. Compensation will increase or decrease - by between 10-50% - depending on whether the employer or employee failed to adhere to the new law.

Does this apply to part time workers also, I'd think it does. If this is the case, does it automatically apply to workers who have never been given a copy of their contract to sign ?

If a part time worker has not signed a contract, and he/she wears a tshirt under a work shirt and is then threatened with being sacked for doing so, if they have never signed any contract how can they be breaking any terms or conditions of any contract ?

This is all related to the company i work for, not all to do with myself but people i work with. The management occasionally like to throw their weight about and throw wobblys at us and threaten us with the sack for this and that. I think they talk utter crap a lot of the time and believe threatening people will make them do what they want. So far i've been ok with them, ive never been threatened with anything because i abide, so far, by the rules placed upon me.

Comments

• Options
    Cast your peepers over this and this.

p.s why censor shites when you've openly used the words fuck and cunt on here? :razz:
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Cast your peepers over this and this.

p.s why censor shites when you've openly used the words fuck and cunt on here? :razz:

Cheers man, i'll take a looksie right away.

Censor? oh don't know why i did that, blame it on old habit's die hard :p
  • Options
    Alright now this is just getting out of hand.

This morning we were told if anyone is caught wearing a tshirt UNDERNEATH the work t-shrt, we're sacked. Anyone who diesnt buy a pair of trainers sold by our company by next thursday .. is sacked. Anyone who isnt in the shop 15 minutes before the start of their shift will be considered late, and sacked.

How the fuck can a company get away with all this!?

and tell me this. I, no in fact NO ONE i work with has been given a contract to sign so how can anyone be breaking any rules if we have never signed a contract commiting to them? Second to that, if they are changing our work rules and regulations surely they should be issueing us with a new and upto date contract that we should be signing ? SURELY ?

It's gone from not really being related to me to relating to me and EVERYONE i work with. No one is happy about it and I am having words with my boss tomorrow to discuss my displeasure at all this crap because its's very very unfair and unjust.

I could really do with some help on this matter guy's & girls. I didnt find much last night that was related to part timers and contract's, if we need one or should have signe done etc. Neither did i find anything out about sacking someone for a simply pathetic and stupid reason, and an on the spot sacking as well which means they arent following the rules regarding discipline neither!

Help! [please]
  • Options
    You should have a contract, part-time, full-time, whatever. Without one, they can do pretty much anything they want, I'm afraid to say.
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    Anyone who diesnt buy a pair of trainers sold by our company by next thursday .. is sacked.

That's immensley dodgy sounding. So much so that I went and spoke to my Dad, who deals with employment law.

He says that if the trainers were required as uniform they'd be supplied. If you lost the trainers, then you could be charged for replacements but they can't do what they seem to be doing.

How long have you been working there Rich?

I think the non contract thing is balls. Again, speaking to the father, you should have had one within 8 weeks of working. You can take them to an employment tribunal if they don't give you one.

Worst comes to the worst, I'll PM you my Dad's number and you can speak to him directly.
  • Options
    I've worked their since December Andy.

Re-reading what i wrote i made a slight error. Regarding the " if we dont buy shoes " thing. They say we can only wear shoes which have been bought within our company, so Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Umbro etc etc. Not allowed to wear anything our shop doesn't sell basically. We are made to pay for them, and tbh the whole uniform ... the tracky bottoms and the t-shirt aswell. *

They do supply the uniform... but at our own cost .. and there are no two way's about it, we are not given a choice, you get given tracky bottom's and a tshirt and they take it off you're wages. Then you have to buy trainers in you're store. I'm ok for the trainers as i already have two pairs but some others dont and have been give warnings as has everyone else now who doesnt currently have trainers from the store.

You know something else i forgot to mention, that REALLY pissed me off. I was asked to stay on to cover lunch breaks, I said yeah sure no worries, because hey i really dont mind, they said i'd stay for 50 mins and be paid for the hour. I would have then worked for 4 hours and 50 minutes. I wasnt given a break. I was told to go at 3.45, which i did. It wasnt until i left i realised i had not been given a break. I thought to myself maybe he ment he'll get me to stay for 45/50 mins but pay me for the hour but i wont get a break, but any which way you look at it i still should have been given a break, thems the rules.

I like where i work [dont ask me why] but I'm no push over and i'll fight them all the way on this. Like i said it's completely unfair and unjust and totally wrong.

ETA:* - it should be noted that i noticed i had not been charged for my last 2 sets of uniform i got so i cannot be sure they havent changed policy on this uniform thing.
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    I

You know something else i forgot to mention, that REALLY pissed me off. I was asked to stay on to cover lunch breaks, I said yeah sure no worries, because hey i really dont mind, they said i'd stay for 50 mins and be paid for the hour. I would have then worked for 4 hours and 50 minutes. I wasnt given a break. I was told to go at 3.45, which i did. It wasnt until i left i realised i had not been given a break. I thought to myself maybe he ment he'll get me to stay for 45/50 mins but pay me for the hour but i wont get a break, but any which way you look at it i still should have been given a break, thems the rules.

That's wrong. AFAIK, you're entitled to a break - not too sure how long but I know that lunch break is a minimum of 30 minutes.
  • Options
    All i can say is tell me where you work so i can avoid getting a job there!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You need to get a contract. That is the first thing that needs sorting out.
  • Options
    At the moment I'm highly doubting that ANY of us will be given contract to be honest Laura, i just can't see it happening. They've stuck up a list of rules on the wall now.

I think the following can sum up the kind of shit we have to face :

I turn up earlier than asked .. EARLIER, superviser says " You're lucky you just made it Richard " ...

So i'll be looking for another job then.
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:

Good idea.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    EDN1 wrote:

Best idea yet.

It's pretty crappy what they have done to you. However, lessons can be learned - always, always, *always* make sure you get a contract :yes:
  • Options
    They're legally bound to give you a contract in 8 weeks. If not, you can take them to an employment tribunal for, I think, 4 weeks wages.

They have no choice, they MUST give you a contract.