Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

MAP and the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I took my pill late on Tues but wasnt sure if it was too late, I also had sex on this day so was going to take the MAP as a precaution. When i went to the chemist she said there were new rules and if you missed 3 or more pills then you needed the map. When i mentioned i had, had sex on that day she seemed confused and said it was ok. I left it at that, but now im more worried that she gave me the wrong info, what can I do??

Comments

• Options
    Which pill are you on?
  • Options
    It's too late for the MAP and copper coil contraception now.

http://www.fpa.org.uk/guide/emergncy/index.htm#22

If you're normally a good pill taker and you took your pill late but on the right day, you are probably unlikely to have fallen pregnant, but if you miss a period, take a pregnancy test.

Also, if you forget to take a pill again, remember to use an alternative form of contraception e.g. condoms.
  • Options
    Im on microgynon 30
  • Options
    Do you know how late you took it?

With microgynon 30, you're ok if you take it 12 hours late or less. If you took it more than 12 hours late you should take the late pill as soon as possible, and then take the next pill at your usual time. This may mean taking two pills in one day, and you should use other contraception as well, for the next 7 days.

This is from the leaflet they give you in the box, if you have a read of it then you should be prepared for next time.

Like Kentish said, if you do think you might be pregnant, take a pregnancy test to make sure. :) hope that helps.
  • Options
    The pharmacist is right though. They have very recently changed the guidelines as to how much you have to miss before the pill becomes ineffective.

Life for you is relatively simple as your taking a very standard pill, so the standard advice is right. The current advice is that you have to miss/be late taking more than one pill for the contraceptive cover to be affected.

So you should be absolutely fine. If you don't get a withdrawal bleed then you may want to see your doctor for peace of mind, and similarly don't run this pack into the next one otherwise you won't know and you'll still have that niggling thought.

For some slightly strange reason I think the advice still says that if you miss or are late taking just one then you should use condoms, but you don't need to do anything if you don't unless you've missed two.

The flow chart on FPA for what to do if you miss a pill is a good explanation.