Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Viva

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone here done a viva before?

Next thursday i have my dissertation viva. Ive more or less sorted out what im going to say, im going to start by setting the scene and saying the aims and hypothesis of my study. Then im going to explain the methodology by using diagrams. Then im going to show the results and state my conclusion, then refer back to my aims by stating whether i have found what i aimed to find and the relevence of my findings.

This will all be on a 10 slide powerpoint where i will elaborate and go into detail that is not shown on screen.

Does this seem ok?

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or pointers, because my superviser is a bit of a nob and doesnt say much.

Ta in advance for any replies
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    isn't that a presentation then rather than a viva?!!
    we had to do a viva for one of our modules at uni. it was more like a chat / question and answer session (the lecturer asks the questions, and you answer) based on the talk you've prepared / what you've researched.
    if you're supervisor is a "nob" - try and get some advice off of another tutor if possible.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    isn't that a presentation then rather than a viva?!!
    we had to do a viva for one of our modules at uni. it was more like a chat / question and answer session (the lecturer asks the questions, and you answer) based on the talk you've prepared / what you've researched.
    if you're supervisor is a "nob" - try and get some advice off of another tutor if possible.

Its called a viva and it will have a question session at the end.
  • Options
    you say viva

i think las vegas
  • Options
    I had a viva for my final year project at the end of March with 2 lecturers, both separately for 30 mins each. The first lecturer was fine, he was my project supervisor, the second didn't have a clue what even the basis of my project was about so I had to go into intricate details of how it all worked.

So long as you know your stuff inside out, because after all, it is your work, then you should have no problems.

How long is your viva meant to be? Have you timed your presentation out?