Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The police won't prosecute the Menezes whistle-blowers after all.

How fucking generous.

The person who had those people arrested for doing their civic duty should be languishing in fucking Strangeways for the rest of eternity though.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No one will be punished, no one demoted, no one sacked. It's almost as if it never happened, isn't it? A few weeks ago, we also learnt no one will be prosecuted over the shooting of an innocent man either. This all stinks.
  • Options
    Just wondering as a defence lawyer how you'd feel if the police leaked some information about one of your clients? Not neccessarily the bits you might use in defence like mitigating factors, but the stuff that might prejudice a jury?

Would you find it worrying? Would you feel that it might lead your client to be unfairly prosecuted?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The person who had those people arrested for doing their civic duty should be languishing in fucking Strangeways for the rest of eternity though.
    :confused:

I'm with the whistle blower. We need to know the facts not the spin, so if a couple of armed coppers get investigated for doing their "civic duty" (shooting innocent people, presumably?) then that's fine with me.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

I'm with the whistle blower. We need to know the facts not the spin, so if a couple of armed coppers get investigated for doing their "civic duty" (shooting innocent people, presumably?) then that's fine with me.

except she's probably helped make sure they won't get prosecuted. She wasn't whistle blowing, this was the middle of the investigation when she leaked. And you only know the facts she leaked - that's almost the defenition of being spun.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Just wondering as a defence lawyer how you'd feel if the police leaked some information about one of your clients? Not neccessarily the bits you might use in defence like mitigating factors, but the stuff that might prejudice a jury?

You mean exactly like what happens now?

It's nice to see the police on the receiving end of it for a change. Normally everything is just swept under the carpet.

ETA: the reason why they won't get prosecuted is because of their badge. Coppers don't prosecute coppers.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    except she's probably helped make sure they won't get prosecuted. She wasn't whistle blowing, this was the middle of the investigation when she leaked. And you only know the facts she leaked - that's almost the defenition of being spun.
    That's all very well, but as I understand it her leaks took place after the Met had already made several statements which contradicted the evidence already gathered. In other words, we were deliberately lied at. If they had taken the investigation seriously, they wouldn't have released any statements speculating on what exactly happened. The whole shambolic operation was extremely dodgy.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That's all very well, but as I understand it her leaks took place after the Met had already made several statements which contradicted the evidence already gathered. In other words, we were deliberately lied at. If they had taken the investigation seriously, they wouldn't have released any statements speculating on what exactly happened. The whole shambolic operation was extremely dodgy.

Ah I see both you and Kermit are following the two wrongs make a right argument. My mistake... I thought there was some principle of justice that you were following.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You mean exactly like what happens now?

It's nice to see the police on the receiving end of it for a change. Normally everything is just swept under the carpet.

ETA: the reason why they won't get prosecuted is because of their badge. Coppers don't prosecute coppers.

Except they won't now and the coppers not prosecuting coppers argument looks a little thin when a) you realise that it was the IPPC investigating rather than the police and b) when you bother to look at some examples
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4552324.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4514062.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/4132468.stm
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Ah I see both you and Kermit are following the two wrongs make a right argument. My mistake... I thought there was some principle of justice that you were following.
    Not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Wrongs aren't right, however many you've got, and I struggle to see your justification for criticising a desire to destroy the cover-up.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Wrongs aren't right, however many you've got, and I struggle to see your justification for criticising a desire to destroy the cover-up.

No your missing what I'm saying. She leaked information during an on-going investigation and jeopardised the chances of a succesful prosecution. She wasn't a whistle blower as she worked for the investigating authority who had the information she leaked.

She would have been a whistle blower if she worked for the police and had leaked information the police were trying to withhold.

As it is she's just showed that the police have a reason to distrust the IPPC and to believe that the IPPC acts as if it is above the law.

The only good thing to come from this is at least the IPPC has reviewed its security... suggesting at that it at least some of them think that this was not a good thing.
  • Options
    Hardly revelations. The police don't trust their investigating authority and the IPCC doesn't like leaks of information.

And she is a whistle blower regardless of her employer. She uncovered information that had been deliberately kept out of the public domain.
  • Options
    The Metropolitan Police released information which slandered a deceased man.

Another person did their civic duty and exposed these lies. After all, if it wasn't for this whistle-blower we still wouldn't know what really happened to Mr de Menezes.

This person was a whistle-blower, regardless of employer, because they exposed calculated lies from a public body. In exactly the same way I class Shayler as a whistle-blower.

I know soldiers and policemen find the law a trifle inconvenient sometimes, and don't like it very much when their lies get exposed, but that doesn't excuse the victimisation that has taken place against this whistle-blower. She has exposed the deliberate lies of the police authority, and has been bullied and victimised because of it. I would class it as malicious prosecution, but good luck getting that to stick.

There is no legal principle that prevents the reporting of crime. What you usually find is that the journalists know details about a crime that they could not possibly have known from publicly released information. I obviously can't say how I know this, for both legal and client protection reasons, but lets just say the journalists must be very good investigators.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Hardly revelations. The police don't trust their investigating authority and the IPCC doesn't like leaks of information.

And she is a whistle blower regardless of her employer. She uncovered information that had been deliberately kept out of the public domain.

Information is often kept out of the public domain when its in a middle of an investigation. I think it something to do with having a fair trial. The right to know is sometimes overidden by other rights.

Its not like the IPPC had locked away the information in collusion with the police.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Its not like the IPPC had locked away the information in collusion with the police.
    Who knows what we would have found out. Colossal cock ups tend to get brushed under the carpet by the powers that be. We need only cast our minds back to the Hutton enquiry to realise that.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Another person did their civic duty and exposed these lies. After all, if it wasn't for this whistle-blower we still wouldn't know what really happened to Mr de Menezes.

This person was a whistle-blower, regardless of employer, because they exposed calculated lies from a public body. In exactly the same way I class Shayler as a whistle-blower.

I know soldiers and policemen find the law a trifle inconvenient sometimes, and don't like it very much when their lies get exposed, but that doesn't excuse the victimisation that has taken place against this whistle-blower. She has exposed the deliberate lies of the police authority, and has been bullied and victimised because of it. I would class it as malicious prosecution, but good luck getting that to stick.

There is no legal principle that prevents the reporting of crime. What you usually find is that the journalists know details about a crime that they could not possibly have known from publicly released information. I obviously can't say how I know this, for both legal and client protection reasons, but lets just say the journalists must be very good investigators.

See post above. I'm assuming that if in the spirit of whistle blowing she worked with you and decided to leak details of one of your clients to The Times on the basis that there was the risk of a guilty man going free you would believe that she deserves a pat on the back as well?

Personally I wouldn't and also have problems with the police leaking information about suspects as well.

Fine if the IPPC had at the time she leaked decided not to prosecute and not to release the information or even there had been a trial and the police, she may have a defence.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Who knows what we would have found out. Colossal cock ups tend to get brushed under the carpet by the powers that be. We need only cast our minds back to the Hutton enquiry to realise that.

Well we'll now never know... Perhaps if she'd waited then I might have some sympathy for her. As it is I've got none at all.
  • Options
    That's your prerogative. I totally disagree.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That's your prerogative. I totally disagree.

yes, but if we all agreed it would be a very boring board :)
  • Options
    Ja. Luckily I'm always right.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I think the term "murdered man" would be more accurate.

I class Shayler as a teller of the truth. A dangerous thing to do as he was taken hostage for 9 months.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I'm assuming that if in the spirit of whistle blowing she worked with you and decided to leak details of one of your clients to The Times on the basis that there was the risk of a guilty man going free you would believe that she deserves a pat on the back as well?

• Options
    Charmed I'm sure :blush:
  • Options
    The point is, if she was working for a defence lawyer she wouldn't be able to leak anything that wasn't already going to be in the prosecution case, and she wouldn't be able to say whether the bloke was guilty or not. That's a simple fact, she can have an opinion, but that's all.

In this case, the person blew the whistle on a deliberate lie, a deliberate cover-up, and a deliberate murder. I don't understand why you are defending the rights of the police to lie, cover-up and murder with impunity.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The point is, if she was working for a defence lawyer she wouldn't be able to leak anything that wasn't already going to be in the prosecution case, and she wouldn't be able to say whether the bloke was guilty or not. That's a simple fact, she can have an opinion, but that's all.

In this case, the person blew the whistle on a deliberate lie, a deliberate cover-up, and a deliberate murder. I don't understand why you are defending the rights of the police to lie, cover-up and murder with impunity.
    Can you get rid of the arse photo please? It's rather nauseating.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Can you get rid of the arse photo please? It's rather nauseating.

What arse photo?

I presume you mean the webhost has changed the image I was hotlinking, in which case its gone.

Serves me right for hotlinking something, really.
  • Options
    Ta.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I'm not. My view is quite simple.

Ian Blair is useless and should be sacked. If he deliberately lied there may be grounds for prosecution. Whoever gave the information that he was an armed suicide bomber to Blair should quite possibly be going the same way.

Whoever altered the log book should be prosecuted for attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The police who carried out the shooting and the surveillance team should be prosecuted if there is evidence of criminal negligence. If there isn't that evidence (ie they followed the rules of engagement) they shouldn't be taken to court just to make people feel better.

The police need to look at their procedures again and see what went wrong and take immediate steps to make sure they learn lessons from it.

The woman who leaked information from part of an on-going investigation should have been prosecuted.

I assume the photo was just a momentary aberration and if you disagree you're going to argue against my points?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I assume the photo was just a momentary aberration and if you disagree you're going to argue against my points?

Yeah, that was me just hotlinking something I found on google and the webmaster was quite rightly getting his own back for it. Sorry to him for nabbing his bandwidth, that was me being a bit dumb.

I support the woman who leaked the information because I really don't think that it would have ever come out if she hadn't. I class her as a whistle-blower in the same way I classed Shayler as one- they shouldn't legally have done it, but its a lot harder to argue against them ethically.
  • Options
    Ok fair enough