Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Buying a musical instrument

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi there

Now im not sure if this should go in here becasue i wasnt sure, but hey. The thing is ive recently been thinking about learning to play an instrument but i do not have a clue what kind of instrument. Does anyone play an instrument and what do you suggest i try learning to play?

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    There's lots of areas you could go into here. It could depend on the type of music you enjoy listening to, or whether you'd just like the challenge of learning something for fun.

I picked up bass guitar because I always had a fascination with the bass players and being able to hold together the rhythm section with the drums, and i've been at it for almost 6 years now. Starting to learn a bit of normal electric guitar on the side too to try and branch out creatively a bit.

Has anything really jumped out at you yet that you'd like to learn?
  • Options
    Not really to be honest. My fiancee is into guitars, so hes been pushing me towards that, but im just not sure
  • Options
    Don't be pushed into something you don't want to do though. If nothing takes your fancy, then it's not worth taking on something just for the hell of it.

If guitars do almost tempt you, maybe starting acoustic/classical first might be better than full on guitars, but there's enough cheap starter packs around anyway.
  • Options
    Its probably about the only thing i am considering. Just gotta think if i really want to learn to play though, not if im just going to do it for the hell of it.

Il have a think and stuff.
  • Options
    Keyboard?

As much as I love guitar and also play the cornet; the piano is where my talent lies and I can spend (waste?) entire afternoons just playing for myself and really enjoying it. Obviously when you first start you actually have to learn which is the least fun part, but the pride that comes with being able to tinkle the ivories beautifully is immense. :D

Of course, it depends what instruments you have/can gain access to.

Guitar is definitely the obvious choice. :yes:
  • Options
    it doesnt have to be a life commitment type thing. It's something you can slowly pick up and enjoy... I've been playing bass for a few years too... it's a great form of art and a good way to express yourself (any instrument that is)..

I'd suggest accoustic guitar or piano though (always wanted to learn that)... I dunno why they just seem like versatile and open instruments to start on. :cool:
  • Options
    Don't go for the obvious ones ie guitar.

I can play the trumpet *is very proud* :D

Just don't tell anyone!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I would love to be able to play the piano.
  • Options
    the other half has mentioned that he'd help me learn but im just not sure lol. He has 3 diff guitars (acoustic, bass & electric) so that wouldnt be a problem, would save me money on buying my own like, if it turns out that im not particulary keen etc

Still thinking about it :)
  • Options
    I play the violin - well I learnt to play for about 6 years and now can play on my lonesome when I gave it up as I didn't have the time for lessons and concerts.

Apparently the hardest instrument to play - I find it very beautiful and satisfying.

If you just want to take up an instrument...for the sake of learning one - you'd probably be better of with the piano (that's not belittling the talent of proper players) but you can get hold of one for a decent price and the people who I know play the sax, violin, trumpet , less obvious instruments really had an impulse that that was the instrument they had to play - they wanted to.
  • Options
    I wanna learn to play my recorder, next on the list is a sax.
  • Options
    I play the flute and found that once I was competent I could pick up other wind instruments, armed with a fingering chart, and get to a reasonable standard of messing around.

I'm not a good musician, I'd never do it professionally, and with 50 people fighting for 2 flute spaces in the Union orchestra I don't even do that any more. But it's fun.
  • Options
    Because so many people play guitars, you can teach each other songs and stuff, and there's always someone to show you if you're not getting something quite right. But on the other hand, loads of people play them so you won't be different. Keyboards are cool, because even if you don't like it, you can play with the helicopter noises. We used to have a piano, but the most I ever managed was the rugrats theme. It's down to what you want to play though really. Would you like to learn your favourite music or try something different?
  • Options
    get a mandolin. or a theramin.
  • Options
    Find an instrument that lets you learn to play the music you want.If you like rock or heavy metal try guitars,bass or drums.Plus,you can play jazz,country and classsical and other styles on those instruments too.
    Piano/keyboard,violins,flute for symphony orchestral music or whatever it is.
    Actually,on any instrument you can play most styles the only thing that could hold you back is your imagination. :chin:
  • Options
    O_o wrote:
    get a mandolin. or a theramin.
    Get a bit of Losing My Religion on.
  • Options
    Try a tin whistle. Cheap, and easy to play. The ones I bought even come with a how to guide and simple tunes to start with. Before long you'll be able to make your own tunes up as you go along, and figure out how to play tunes you've heard. The large C note tin whistle is one of the easiest to play.
  • Options
    don't even spend money on a tin whistle. perfect ur own whistling technique