Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

starting the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im thinking over going on the pill, where are the best places to get it from for free? (im under 16) I not particularly keen on going to my GP, as my family is quite well known there. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    why do you want to go on the pill so young? do you have painful periods or something? i went on the pill because of painful periods and i must say that it did wonders..
    the best place is to go to your gp.. i know you said you didn't want to, but it's the best place.. honestly. i'm not sure, but i think he has to keep everything confidential if you go in on your own.. though that could be wrong because you are under 16.
    maybe if it's just because of painful periods you could talk about it to your mom..
  • Options
    hey, i want to go on it for contraception reasons, but the periods would be a bonus as mine are quite painful.
  • Options
    your GP is bound by confidentiality laws despite your age.

it's a prescription medication, so there are only so many places you can get it, and personally I think your GP is your best bet.
  • Options
    thanks. so you cant get it from an fpa?
  • Options
    karen_O wrote:
    thanks. so you cant get it from an fpa?
    Yes you could go to an fpa or to Brooke or in some areas they have special young people's sexual health services but not everywhere has these.
  • Options
    You can get the contraceptive pill from Brooke, from Family Planning Clinics, Young Peoples Sexual Health Clinics, your GP and another GP in your own practice.

You can go by yourself (or with a mate) even if your under 16, although in this case you will have to show the person prescribing it that you know what your doing. Worth remembering that they will be very keen to make sure you know that being on the pill does not protect you against STIs.

A lot of people don't get there's from their GP, thats why there are so many other options. A useful line for a parent if you ever need it is the painful period line.
  • Options
    i live in Leeds. where is the best place to go do you think here? like family planning clinic or wathever
  • Options
    I live no where Leeds but being a Uni city there will be loads of options. If you google FPA then they have a bit where you can put in your postcode and find your nearest clinic. That may help.
  • Options
    From my own experience I think FPC would be the best place to go to start the pill. I currently go to my GP but when I got the pill from the family planning clinic they were much more thorough in terms of asking questions, checking weight and blood pressure, whereas my doctor now only asks if I have started smoking and takes my blood pressure. That is just my own experience though, other GPs would probably be equally as thorough and you should just do whatever is most convenient for you.
  • Options
    Although in fairness to your GP and the FPC they need to ask a lot more questions the first time round than they do for repeat prescriptions, and your GP has your history so they need to ask for less.