Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

02 XDAs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I can't decide whether to get the Exec or the Mini S. Girlfriend quite rightly pointed out the exec may be too big, and the all important questions 'will I use all of it'. I want a phone that I can use as a personal organiser mind you, and there seems to be limited choice, as trying to type in appointments etc. with a numpad doesn't work very nicely.

Some pics:

XDA Exec
universal_Jr4C8nRd3klo.jpg

XDA Mini S
13.jpg

(try and excuse the japanese writing lol, I was trying to get pics to compare their relative size..)

here they are next to each other.

The Exec is £100 on contract from O2, but since I'm planning (at the moment) to have whichever phone I choose for the next 18 months or so, I'm trying to pick carefully. The mini does have a qwerty keyboard as well, it slides out sideways.

Can't decide :( and some people are saying to me 'why not just get a nokia 6280' which I could do, but I would really like something I can use as an organiser as well... any ideas net savvys?

Comments

• Options
    blackberry surely? biggest ugliest phones ever (they're american) but it's really the only choice if you want it to do everything WELL...

also a mate of mine has the o2 xda exec and it's forever crashing randomly. i'm not sure whether that's because he has vast amounts of filth on it but i've not heard good things about the OSs on o2 phones.

http://www.my-blackberryfromo2.com/mail.asp?page=mail
  • Options
    Thing is, I don't need email push (where when you get an email it goes straight to your phone like you've just got an sms - i think) or a load of other features. But I do want:

- a big screen
    - easy to navigate, add contacts, write down notes, you name it
    - be able to make phone calls
    - be portable (lol)

The blackberry seems to scarifice screen space for the keyboard, and screen size is one of the biggest things for me (i might just be shortsighted :p). It prompted me to buy my last phone, the siemens cx65, as it had one of the biggest screens on the market

cx65.jpg

So now I'm just looking for a bigscreened phone, thats practical and I wont get annoyed at in a couple of months. My siemens cx65 never worked properly :(. Even today, some of the options have just died on it now, never to be used again. And I've heard about the O2 utilities slowing the XDAs down, but thats a software thing rather than hardware, you can remove the O2 stuff I think, the only problem is then you need to set up settings yourself (fairly straightforward when you know what you're doing).

At the moment the XDA Mini seems to be winning on the fact it's stylish, two of my friends have said they'd prefer that one :chin:. It must be said when looking at them both it does seem a lot more manageable....
  • Options
    I have the mini, and its perfect.

o I can play Mp3's
    o If I convert my divx's to WMV (using Microsofts own free tool), I can play them with no skipping
    o I can access wifi hotspots and check my email
    o Its a much better size than the exec.

The exec is way too big, and the swivel screen will probably break, every flip phone I've ever had, has broken.

On the other hand the Exec is:
    o Much more powerful, better processor
    o Big screen size

I had to make this same decision a few months back, and I went with the mini. I went with tmobile because they gave it to me for free on an 18 month £30 contract with I think 6 or 12 months half price (cant remember exactly)
    I get 300 anytime minutes.

With my smartphone I've had the usual problems with needing to reset it every week or so. Some times it starts to do really weird things and pop up warnings for no reason, so I soft reset it. You're right about the O2 utilities eating up all the ram, I remember reading about it. My tmobile came with very little custom software added. But you still have to go into the memory settings every now and then to kill apps that are still running. Windows mobile 2005 is a bit badly designed in this respect. If I close an app, it should go away, not stay running in the background waiting to be manually killed.

Flash memory prices are falling like rocks, so get yourself a cheap 512MB or a 1GB and use it to store tunes and such. You might need new headphones, the ones that came with my mini are very crap and cheap feeling.
  • Options
    I have the mini, and its perfect.

o I can play Mp3's
    o If I convert my divx's to WMV (using Microsofts own free tool), I can play them with no skipping
    o I can access wifi hotspots and check my email
    o Its a much better size than the exec.

The exec is way too big, and the swivel screen will probably break, every flip phone I've ever had, has broken.

On the other hand the Exec is:
    o Much more powerful, better processor
    o Big screen size

I had to make this same decision a few months back, and I went with the mini. I went with tmobile because they gave it to me for free on an 18 month £30 contract with I think 6 or 12 months half price (cant remember exactly)
    I get 300 anytime minutes.

That's not bad, I tried to get it with t-mobile but then they screwed me around when I was trying to buy the phone. Their internet thing didn't work, then I went to a shop and the guy was the - most - unhelpful person ever. I would have thought with all this modern malarky they would be able to make it a bit more personal. Hell, I work in the co op with bread and if someone wants a specific loaf of bread on a specific date I can sort it out and put it behind the customer services desk for them to pick up.

However, 300 anytime minutes + 750 texts is what I've got for the same price as you from o2. Mind you, the handset is slightly more expensive... (£50). I believe it's called the MDA Vario with T-Mobile isn't it? I've just ordered mine, playing with the exec in shops it was loose already! Don't want a wobbly phone...
  • Options
    ive got the mini as well

well the vario, on tmobile, got it free on a contract
  • Options
    I'm not sure how to get it to connect to my wireless router. I set up wifi, it detects the network, says its connecting but then says it doesn't get an IP. But my router is set up to DHCP, so I haven't a clue... :confused:

Just listening to music on it now, sound is pretty ace quality :) (not the loudspeaker, mind). Need to buy myself a mini sd card!
  • Options
    Is your router set up was 802.11b? g wont work.
  • Options
    Is your router set up was 802.11b? g wont work.

Yep...