Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Web Design Copyright

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm trying to get some images protected on my site. On right click I want the browser to bring up a pop-up message that shows a pop up box showing that an image is copyright. Does anyone know a simple way to do this. I found a site that goes into a lot of detail about dragging an image to desktop as well but the javascript is complex for my level.

Anyone have some simple solution?

Thnx
Steve

Comments

• Options
    Just stick a watermark on there. The popup thing can be bypassed if you disable Javascript.
  • Options
    Just stick a watermark on there. The popup thing can be bypassed if you disable Javascript.

Cheers. Although I would do this I am working on a project and I would like to prove all necessary steps have been taken to stopping others from copying images, amateur users in other words. I know the power user will get straight around it.
  • Options
    The popup stuff can work for amateurs or surfer if that's what you are after... as you said any advanced user or professional will get around anything... for a simple javascript check this tutorial --> http://www.quirksmode.org/js/improt.html
  • Options
    print screen works everytime
  • Options
    Yeah, implement the javascript by all means - though to be honest I can't stand silly things that disable the right mouse button (though Opera refuses to allow it) but to make sure you should embed either a visible or invisible digital watermark in important images.

Some web pages seem to go to great lengths to prevent images being stolen, but they reside in the cache for one, and you can just capture the screen from an art package even if print screen or copy / paste is turned off.
  • Options
    Another problem is that of people "hot" linking to images on your site. Apart from it being frustrating that someone else is using your lovely creations it wastes some bandwidth. If you or your webhost are running Apache then using .htaccess file you can ensure the correct referrer (page using the image which is usually regular expression of your domain name) for images (.jpg/.jpeg/.gif etc).