Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

stopping period - quick help appreciated!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

not sure if this has been asked before..

I know there have been many threads on running pill packets together to stop your period arriving but i have a specific question - I am not currently on any contraceptive pill but I am going away for a weekend next weekend (so in 11 days or so) and my period is due then but i really really dont want to have it then - how could I stop it? If I go to a clinic as soon as possible and get prescribed the contraceptive pill, can I start taking it straight away and then take it right through? will that stop my period coming? are there any other options?

quick help would be greatly greatly appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Options
    When you start the pill, you have to take it on the first day of your period. So, I doubt that it would be long enough for your break away.
  • Options
    hmmm... :( so any other ideas?
  • Options
    Your GP will be able to give you something to stop them, but im not sure they will do it without a good medical reason. I had it before because of a period not stopping, so im not sure you would get it because you want to go on holiday!
  • Options
    You can get a pill called Northisterone, you take it three times daily, beginning 3 days before your period and throughout the time when you would normally have your period. You have to go to the doctor to get it prescribed.
    I used it when I went on holiday cos wasnt on the pill and didn't want a period. Worked fine for me. Downsides are remembering to take it and some people feel a bit bloated.
  • Options
  • Options
    thanks a lot for that! :) so is it only for medical reasons? or can I just say I am going on holiday? and can I go to a family planning clinic for it (I really dont like my GP and doubt he would be very obliging or understanding)?

sorry for all the questions and thanks heaps again :)
  • Options
  • Options
    well, i phoned my nearest fpa and they said that they couldnt do it, I had to go through the GP :S

But on a good point, I managed to convince my surgery to give me an appointment with the female doctor next Tuesday instead of the month or so that you normally have to wait to see her - hopefully she can sort it out for me :)
  • Options
    just wanted to quickly say that I went to the doctor and she gave me the Norethisterone no problems at all and it worked perfectly.
    Thanks to everyone that gave information/advice :)