Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New GP advice - go running fat boy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I read an article in the Times today about GP's and their new instructions to tell fat people that they are overweight. I think this is a good idea, but I was puzzled by the line, "GP's will be told to use soft language so as to avoid giving patients the wrong idea". The wrong idea?! Surely saying "Mr Jenkins, you sir are a fat bastard" would be exactly the right idea.

This country is full of fat people. Sure for some people there are good reasons for their health problems, but for the average person it's a crap diet and laziness. MAKE THEM JOG!

Comments

• Options
    Jogging is not a good idea for very overweight people.
    My doctor told me that a way to get my blood pressure down would help if i lost weight but i already knew that. One stone down and several more to go!
  • Options
    MattMatt wrote:
    MAKE THEM JOG!

Just going to be a nit-picker... Jogging/running isn't great for over-weight people cos it can damage their knees...
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Jogging is not a good idea for very overweight people.
    My doctor told me that a way to get my blood pressure down would help if i lost weight but i already knew that. One stone down and several more to go!

Damn... you got in there before me... I was day dreaming for several minutes before I pressed 'submit reply'. :blush:
  • Options
    Went to my doctor to ask for advice about weight. He told me to cycle to and from work every day. That is 14 miles a day. WTF!? I explained to him that I could not possibly do that and he said 'just try it and see how you get on' Not going back to that doctor again.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    One stone down and several more to go!

Congrats! :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Went to my doctor to ask for advice about weight. He told me to cycle to and from work every day. That is 14 miles a day. WTF!? I explained to him that I could not possibly do that and he said 'just try it and see how you get on' Not going back to that doctor again.

You should try it. It aint that far on a bike.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You should try it. It aint that far on a bike.

it is when you are overweight and get out of breath easily.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Congrats! :)

Ta i'm struggling to get back on diet after slipping off but i WILL do it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    :lol:

I say a good idea is to offer serious help. Telling them to run or exercise is silly... that won't really motivate them to do anything.

They need a REAL motivation. Like we all do to do anything. Like I could do with one to do my work, but I have none. And its fucking WAY overdue and my tutor is ANGRY as hell.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:

Put yourself to the limit and you'll soon lose weight.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :lol:

I say a good idea is to offer serious help. Telling them to run or exercise is silly... that won't really motivate them to do anything.

They need a REAL motivation. Like we all do to do anything. Like I could do with one to do my work, but I have none. And its fucking WAY overdue and my tutor is ANGRY as hell.

What do you think fat people should do to lose weight then?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sofie wrote:

Well, running the marathon won't help.

If you are overweight, you can't just dive in the deep end, you need to start gradually.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

A course of class A and class B drugs?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

If you are overweight, you can't just dive in the deep end, you need to start gradually.

:yes: walking and swimming are a good start.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Fair point.
  • Options
    i think it's fair do. but obviously not for obese people.

why waste the doctors time when you can help yourself?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

:yes:
    I've found the eliptical machines (if you have access to a gym) are very good for out of shape people too. And they work alot of areas.

And a proper diet can do alot. Most GP's can give you general ideas for healthy eating to lose weight and can always reccomend a nutritionist to you. Its actually amazing what food can do for you. I was sent to a nutritionist when I was in a bad depression state. Food can affect you in lots of ways.

Alot of people who grew up unhealthy may not know how to be healthy. It may sound stupid to some, how hard can it be to know you can't sit and eat donuts all day and not work out. There are alot of basic things they may not know or know how to do or even just how to get started on things. Having a doctor help you out is hardly wasting their time and piontless.
  • Options
    I went to the doctor to get a prescription for my inhaler, so nothing related to my weight. My doctor decided to mention it and wasn't using any soft language at all. In fact, she came across as being a spiteful little cow, and when I told her what I ate etc. like she asked she said that I couldn't be telling the truth, my weight apparently gives it away that I was lying :impissed:
  • Options
    I'm lucky I've never been pulled up on weight at the doctors, even when its obvious I've out quite a bit of wait on. I refuse to see one doctor now after the way he dismissed me as being "slightly depressed". :banghead:
  • Options
    I went to the doctor to get a prescription for my inhaler, so nothing related to my weight. My doctor decided to mention it and wasn't using any soft language at all. In fact, she came across as being a spiteful little cow, and when I told her what I ate etc. like she asked she said that I couldn't be telling the truth, my weight apparently gives it away that I was lying :impissed:
    I saw my GP recently and she wouldn't believe that I cycled 8 miles to college and back twice a week and go swimming on the other 3 days, because I'm overweight.

Then the blood tests came back and it's likely to be related to my thyroid. Haha. I was perversely happy about that.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

Most-definantly-positively yes I agree. Walking is King.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:

Yes, you will get out of breath easily at first, but tough it out. Two weeks into it though, it will be much easier. After that you will look forward to riding your bike.
  • Options
    Tough it out isn't really that helpfull though, as who the frig wants to hurt and have chest palpitations when it is easier to go back to your old ways? I think it's more sensible to start really easy, achieve goals like walk quickly for 30 mins a day for a week rather than go for a jog on day one, feel crap and not do anything else for a week because it hurts...
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Then the blood tests came back and it's likely to be related to my thyroid. Haha. I was perversely happy about that.

I have an underactive one and its a bugger to try and lose weight. :mad:
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I have an underactive one and its a bugger to try and lose weight. :mad:
    :yes: Me too, probably. They need to run the tests again next month in case it was anomalous.