Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pasta/Rice sauces

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
You know it always says on the back of the jars that you need to use it all 3 days after opening it. Does it actually matter if you don't?

I only ever use half a jar at most at the time as I don't feel like the same meal again till a week later. Was just wondering whether it would be ok using the stuff from the same jar if I kept them in the fridge or something.

I'm talking about like dolmio sauces and uncle bens sauces, stuff like that :p:yum:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They will be fine, i've never had one that smelled funny after a week or so.
  • Options
    I keep them knocking about until I fancy having that dish again, as you said. Or until they go mouldy, whichever comes first. :p
  • Options
    can you freeze it?
  • Options
    As long as they are kept refergiated. I've never seen one that says use in three days, just keep refrigerated. I'm the only one that eats red sauce so they last forever. I used one last week that was like a month old :o I'm still alive As long as its not moldy I've not had a problem yet :p
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    can you freeze it?

Yes you can. I always do anyway. Then just go back to it when you feel like that meal again.

Defrost it on a low heat in the microwave first (Low because the glass of the jar can break)
  • Options
    Naomi_UK wrote:
    Yes you can. I always do anyway. Then just go back to it when you feel like that meal again.

Defrost it on a low heat in the microwave first (Low because the glass of the jar can break)
    I didn't think you were supposed to freeze glass.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

I don't think you are, though I could be wrong.

If you were going to freeze it then it'd probably be wiser to decant the sauce into a tupperware container or similar... or even a sandwich bag.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

Maybe you're not then? :blush: I've been doing it for years though and nothing bads happened.

But its a good idea to do what the last poster said, to maybe out it into something else, THEN freeze it.
  • Options
    I think it depends on what is inside the glass. Whether it expands or not during the freezing process. I put a beer bottle in the freezer... well you can guess :p Though if you put a half eaten bowl of ice cream in the freezer it is fine. Though it doesn't do a good job of keeping out the freezer burn.
  • Options
    yeah itll be fine. Theyre always overcautious on those things so they dont get sued.
  • Options
  • Options
    just freeze it, then you can eat it whenever

The jar will be half empty anyway so you dont have to worry about it expanding and breaking the jar
  • Options
    the way i see it the guidelines are written there for a reason. :yes:
  • Options
    I think the guidelines have a fair bit of leeway with some products though, they leave a bigger buffer to prevent themselves getting sued for the product going off to quickly, or making somebody ill.

If I was freezing sauce from a jar I'd put it in a freezer bag, they take up less room and it's easier to defrost than from a glass jar. It's probably best to freeze it on the day you open it if you don't think you will eat it soon.
  • Options
    hmm.. well i always do what the guidelines say.. but then i am very paranoid about things like that.
  • Options
    They taste bad enough 5 minutes after opening :yuck: , although the Loyd Grossman ones are alright for jar food.

That's harsh, Uncle Ben's lemon and ginger chicken is nice! Pasta sauce from a jar is vile though, I must admit.