Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Healthy weight loss?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been on the SlimFast diet for just over a week now. I'm enjoying it, and feel fine on it (I love Slim Fast food to be honest), and am aiming to lose 35 pounds overall, which I've accquired over the last year. I don't really have a target for when I want the weight gone, though I'd like as much as possible off for my holiday at the end of June.

Anyway that's not my question, I'm just rambling :rolleyes:

I weighed myself yesterday (a week since I'd started) and I'd lost 9 pounds. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy, and I don't particularly want the weight back, but is losing 9 pounds in a week a bit much? I don't want to suddenly start coming down with millions of illnesses or anything daft. I didn't do anything excessive, I just stuck to the diet and drunk slightly more water (but that fizzled out as I can't stand tap water). I did no more exercise than usual, and the only real thing that changed was my method of contraception, since that had put a large amount of my weight on - but even that was a bit quick for that to take effect.

Anyone got any advice as such?

Comments

• Options
    \
  • Options
    If you're near to your target weight then yes it's too much. If you carry alot of excess weight then no it should be fine. So long as you arn't feeling any ill effects physically and mentally then you shouldn't worry. Try to eat healthily as well as excercising regularly.
  • Options
    Random unrelated question but I've bought some chocolate drinks to have for breakfast cuz I dont have time. I think its gross, is there any flavor you like?
  • Options
    Right basically when you start these type of extreme diets compared to your usual lifestyle it is perfectly normal to lose a lot of water and glygocen when you first start.

The losses should now get slower and slower. Let me know how it keeps going :)
  • Options
    I think weight loss is generally quicker at the start of any diet, it should slow down to a more regualr pace.
  • Options
    The first week is always the highest. It's ok as long as you don't lose as much next week.
    They recommend 1-2Ib a week to keep it off.
  • Options
    Yeah 1-2lb week is the standard blurb but obviously if you are bigger to start you will lose faster etc.

Don't live on shakes though!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Random unrelated question but I've bought some chocolate drinks to have for breakfast cuz I dont have time. I think its gross, is there any flavor you like?

Try vanilla. Obviously I don't know what brand you have, but the majority of vanilla shakes over here are my favourite. I can't stand chocolate :yuck:

And thanks everyone for your advice. I doubt I'll lose that much weight again this week (still not sure how I lost that much last week!) but I just had a worrying moment :)

ETA: And I'm not strong enough to live on the shakes dont worry ;). I do as they say for the lunch and breakfast, (not always shakes, mainly smoothies and bars really) but i do take it to the limit with my dinner - I've found a pizza that comes in at litewrally 4 calories under my limit, and the WHOLE PIZZA will be my dinner :D I can't wait. I didn't look at the fat content, I'm boired of soups and other healthyness!