Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

help a damsel in distress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:crying:

i just went to my car to discover i have a flat tyre. Looks like some cunt has been fucking with my car again.

Im absolutely clueless about changing a tyre, yet theres nobody here that could help me either

Can i call the RAC for something like this?! I feel so stupid.

Why do things like this happen at the most difficult time ever. ie exam time :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    you can but there might be a charge, phone them and ask them if your policy covers this etc? ask what the charge would be if any or if your polciy covers small things like this.
  • Options
    it might not have been someone messing with your car, it happened to be when i drove over something but it didn't go flat until the next day. one of the inner tubes might be damaged or something.

this happened to me a few weeks ago so i rang my mum and i was quite impressed to find that she could change a tyre!

you need to go into your boot and screw a turny thing that should be there. in my car there was a little alan key type thing attached to the side that you use to unscrew the thingy. this should release (after a while) a spare tyre from underneath your boot. my spare tyre had a jack fitted in it, too. so you use that to lift your car up to take one wheel off (take the wheel trim off and unscrew the bolts). then put the new one on.
  • Options
    If she has never used a jack before, or seen ones used etc I dont think it is wise she does it as if you get the jack on the wrong part of the car (not where the jack is ment to sit) you can damage yourself or the car
  • Options
    you have male housemates don't you? i'm sure if you knock on some randoms door and smile sweetly they'd help you!

you'll also find you're left with the thing that secured your tyre up is hanging down on the floor. you need to somehow re-attach that or put the damaged tyre there until you get a new one (about £25 fitted).

eta: your spare tyre may also need inflating a bit so go to morrisons and use one of those whizzy machines.

also you're likely to get a bit grubby from oil and mud so take something to clean your hands with!
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I'd get a bloke to do it if I were you... Where do you live?

on my road in lincoln. :p

i'd help her but i'm not around at the moment.

and rubbish to a bloke, my mum managed!
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Sorry, yeah twas a bit sexist of me. Get someone manly might have been more appropriate. :p

my mum is not manly!!

eta: though she is in the TA and used to go kick boxing. she's currently gone for a weeks long sailing expedition with the army and she has tattoos. mind you think she regrets them. she's 50 too!
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Haha, yes she is! I bet she has hairy armpits and a builders bum! ;)

bet your dad has boobs bigger than mine! :p
  • Options
    The RAC should come out for free if you have home cover.

Changing a wheel isn't all that hard, but it isn't something to be taught over the internet. If you do try it yourself, I'd put the car in gear and make sure the handbrake is applied properly. You'll have to start undoing the wheelnuts whilst the car is on the ground - it's a lot easier than when the wheel is in the air ;).

Make sure you get the jacking points lined up, and try to check that they appear to be structurally sound.

They should include changing wheels as part of the driving test. If you have any friends who have changed a wheel before, get them to walk you through it :). Your car manual should cover all the essentials - what type of jack you have, where to mount it, etc, etc.

Wheels are important. Let someone else do it, if you can.
  • Options
    Well, my Knight in shining armour cycled allll the way home to help :) (my housemate)

He even taught me how to do it, so i know in the future :)

Bloody cars are so much hassle. Now i need to sort out buying a new spare :mad:
  • Options
    Is the original tyre damaged then? If it is only a puncture, then you can normally get them repaired for a fiver or so. If the puncture is in the sidewall of the tyre, then it generally can't be fixed...
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Well, my Knight in shining armour cycled allll the way home to help :) (my housemate)

cars are a lot of hassle you're right! i broke my tyre driving back from forking out £100 for a new exhaust! :grump:
  • Options
    Is the original tyre damaged then? If it is only a puncture, then you can normally get them repaired for a fiver or so. If the puncture is in the sidewall of the tyre, then it generally can't be fixed...

Not sure, cant see any damage, gonna take it to a garage and ask if they can repair it

Dont trust mechanics though :grump: they will probably just say its fucked even if its not to get me to buy a whole new tyre

Oh and i agree with that tyre changing should be taught by driving instructors and be tested. My housemate showed me how its done and its really simple, im just lucky i discovered my flat tyre when my car was parked where i was able to get a friend to help. But would have been better if i knew how in the first place.
    cars are a lot of hassle you're right! i broke my tyre driving back from forking out £100 for a new exhaust! :grump:
    now thats unfortunate!
  • Options
    well they was a bloody hoooge nail in it!!

The garage fixed it for a tenner
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Get someone manly might have been more appropriate. :p

I can change a tyre! (albeit it takes ten times longer than anyone else doing it) and I'm not manly, I'm so girly it's sickening :) So ner-ner-ner to you :p
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

First of all you aint supposed to drive for very long on the spare tyre - you don't need a new spare you need a proper tyre for the road and need to put the spare back where it belongs. Some car's spare wheels ahev bright read markings on them to tell you it's not for long term use.

Also you can buy a can from supermarkets or halford that has a foam inside and if you get a flat you can hook the can up to the car tyre and it will fill the hole and inflate the tyre all in one go, useful if you break down on the motorway for example and need to get out of danger ASAP, espacially if it mean unloading and loading your car inte rain or something.
  • Options
    First of all you aint supposed to drive for very long on the spare tyre - you don't need a new spare you need a proper tyre for the road and need to put the spare back where it belongs. Some car's spare wheels ahev bright read markings on them to tell you it's not for long term use.

Oh. How come? Isnt it just another tyre?

Got the popped one fixed so now do i have to change it again?!
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Oh. How come? Isnt it just another tyre?

Got the popped one fixed so now do i have to change it again?!

It really depends, but a lot of spares are just slimline "space savers" designed to fit into the boot, not for regular driving.

You should really swap it for the fixed one.