Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Healthy Eating

Anyone know of any good food websites where I can get healthy food recipes from?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not really but I'm sure you can be creative and decide what's healthy and what's not :p
  • Options
    I know how to eat healthy but well, the food is just boring.

I want some nice ideas.

I'm going on a diet as soon as my exams are over and getting back to the gym. I just want some ideas for some nice dishes rather than eating like a rabbit.
  • Options
    What type of foods are you into?

TBH I eat a varied diet but it's pretty boring by most peoples standards and centres around veg! Also lots of quorn but I'm a veggie
  • Options
    Lol, I'll say one thing, I'm a student.

I eat shit. I eat mainly frozen food, pasta/rice dishes and snack alot.

I want to start eating more healthy though. As well as wanting to lose a bit of weight, I've also just been freaked out by that "Turn back your body clock" program on channel 4. Lol
  • Options
    What type of foods are you into?

TBH I eat a varied diet but it's pretty boring by most peoples standards and centres around veg! Also lots of quorn but I'm a veggie

Ha, me too. I love eating just veg, but people think I'm weird because of it.
  • Options
    healthy food doesn't have to be boring!!

in my first year at uni i basically ate pasta. which isn't really bad for you but it's quite stodgy. cheap and fills you up quickly though!

i tend to snack quite a lot, but i'm a naturally hungry person if there is such a thing! what do you snack on? you like crisps don't you? try replacing your craving with something healthier like strawberries/apples etc. lately i've been chopping up strawberries and putting them in a box with some grapes. i'm no health freak but yum! i used to take some to uni before i finished. i like crisps to but i tend to go for snack-a-jacks or something like that - i think they're yummy. might not contain very many less calories but every little helps.

what kind of veg do you like?
  • Options
    Not really a veggie person to be honest.

I love fruit but I'm guessing I need to try a few new vegetables.

I eat alot of crisps. Its awful at mo as I'm busy revising so just eating them as its easier. I eat more snacking than I do proper meals.
  • Options
    soup is easy, and healthy if you lay off the salt and cream.
  • Options
    I'm a big crisp fan, this is going to make me sound like a tweed wearer, but I keep a tub of nuts, seeds and raisins and I snack on that all day long to my hearts content!

They provide an excellent variation of benefits along with all your Essential Fatty Acid requirements!

I live on pasta too tbh, but I would recommend eating wholeweat. To make pasta more interesting I add pesto to the sauce, melt small portion of grated cheese on it.. or I like doing something like:

This is cheap and easy-

Chop a load of veg - e.g. onion, corgette, mixed peppers, spring onion, carrot etc

Sortie all the veg, i.e. fry it all! I fry it all in a very small amount of olive oil, but dont worry this is very good for you!

(Cook some pasta)

Make your own sauce up, I use tin of tesco value plum tomatoes, pesto to flavour, garlic from a jar etc..

Pour the sauce over the veg and cook it in.. then serve the pasta in a BOWL, (that bit is important to me lol) and serve the veg on top of it... yummy!!!!!

Or you have old classics like spag bol!

I don't know what much else to suggest if you don't like veg and want to be healthy!

Egg on toast is simple and good especially if you use wholemeal/brown bread.. !
  • Options
    When I pretend I'm going to cook I've found very good recipeis here
  • Options
    then serve the pasta in a BOWL, (that bit is important to me lol)

:yes: It has to be a bowl!
  • Options
    Hiya
    Start by taking a look at our healthy eating section. It hasn't got recipes, but will give you some starting points on ahealthy diet generally.

BBC Food is really good for recipes that are simple and often healthy, and if you're not sure what's healthy and what isn't, The British Nutrition Foundation has a great information section.

Finally, the Food and Mood project has some good tips on eating for good mental health.

Hope these are useful ;)
  • Options
    Try replacing white bread with wholewheat bread, pasta with wholewheat pasta, replace full fat milk with skimmed.

Try making your own sauces for things, dont actually need recipes for this, just a food blender and time to experiment. You can make lots of it then pour it into empty jars and freeze it so that you're not tempted to buy it rather than make it from scratch at a later date.

And try to get your 5-a-day

Smoothies are lovely too and a good way to eat fruit, i normally use 2 bananas, some strawberries and a little natural low fat yogourt, its quite filling too and so tasty, yum :yum:

I like to nibble carrot sticks as a snack but then again i am the carrot queen. Depends if you like carrots or not!

The best way to not be tempted with unhealthy stuff is to simply not buy it.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

The best way to not be tempted with unhealthy stuff is to simply not buy it.

exactly!

they had tim-tams on offer at tesco today though so i bought them. all around the shop i was thinking 'i don't actually need these'. but needless to say i bought them anyway!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    exactly!

they had tim-tams on offer at tesco today though so i bought them. all around the shop i was thinking 'i don't actually need these'. but needless to say i bought them anyway!

Yeh i had to buy a pack of chocolate orange donuts from morrisons yesterday :love: oh my they are good!! But im not feeling too guilty as ive been revising hard the last few days, it can be my reward! Healthy eating can start after uni
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Try replacing white bread with wholewheat bread, .

Oh I dont know if you have the brand there, but wonder bread makes a whole wheat white bread and it doesn't taste like wheat bread at all :thumb:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Oh I dont know if you have the brand there, but wonder bread makes a whole wheat white bread and it doesn't taste like wheat bread at all :thumb:

:yes: We have Hovis best of both. I personally wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but the boyfriend can. He is just the LIMIT of fussyness over food though,
  • Options
    I just had the yummiest healthiest lunch ever - carrot, cucumber, a red pepper and some celery, sliced up and dipped in hummus and tzatziki. So delicious and no guilt about absolutely stuffing my face with it.

That sounds lush. :yum:

I had a gorgeous black bean stirfry for my lunch... it was probably only gorgeous because I didn't make it, admittedly. That's my go-to for healthy meals though, as I can just about scrape together a decent one. Cheap, too.