Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Windows Media Player

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
Okie dokie, so I know nothing...well almost nothing about computers, and for some reason when i try to play certain things, such as links, it wont let me. Its not happening all the time, just the majority of it! Can anyone please tell me what to do? This is what it is saying!

Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server. The server name might not be correct, the server might not be available, or your proxy settings might not be correct.

Merci Buckets
x

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's probably because it can't play the file extension like .mpg, .avi etc. It's good for playing .WMV .WMA etc but not much else.

Download VLC player and you shouldn't have many problems

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    Okie dokie, so I know nothing...well almost nothing about computers, and for some reason when i try to play certain things, such as links, it wont let me. Its not happening all the time, just the majority of it! Can anyone please tell me what to do? This is what it is saying!

Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server. The server name might not be correct, the server might not be available, or your proxy settings might not be correct.

Merci Buckets
    x

Seems like your window media player can not access the internet and retrieve the streaming media (link)... this might be due to your firewall blocking it... what firewall do you use?
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    That's probably because it can't play the file extension like .mpg, .avi etc. It's good for playing .WMV .WMA etc but not much else.

Download VLC player and you shouldn't have many problems

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Not really, with the proper codec it can read .mpg .mpeg .avi .divx just fine... can't do quicktime file and others tho...

But Bunny just download the K-lite Mega Codec pack it will install you all codecs necessary as well as player necessary to play any kind of format...

Go here to download it --> http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm
  • Options
    I used to have the same problem as bunny, and yes a codec pack should work as well. But to be honest Windows Media Player can still give those errors intermittently even with them installed. There's better players out there.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    I used to have the same problem as bunny, and yes a codec pack should work as well. But to be honest Windows Media Player can still give those errors intermittently even with them installed. There's better players out there.

true... the codec pack i suggested got the BSplayer and the hacked media player classic in it tho and they really read any file format I came acros with so far... Since I tried this pack I never used an other one cos never had too... will take a look at the one you posted tho, always interesting to see what is out there...
  • Options
    It's a very good player, probably my favourite so far.
  • Options
    Just install Real PLayer 10.5
    It plays every file known to the world (including .wma and .3gpp) give or take a few...
    Or so I find.
    :)
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    The problem with that is, it's real player :p

Winamp and MediaPlayer-Classic <3
  • Options
    media player classic + winamp :yes: