Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Immigrants stage day of protests in US

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4961734.stm

For once I find myself in agreement with Dubya about something- partly at least.

I can't believe there are people in the US prepared to send immigrants home. I wonder how would affect the US economy... or who exactly was going to take the jobs they do.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's the fact that they're illegal immigrants is what's contested here.
  • Options
    ok, first of all it's not sending immigrants back, it's sending illegal immigrants back, which has been going on for some time.

secondly, it's just election year politics. The politicians are looking for something to get the electorate riled up, during the presidential race it was gay marriage. It's the perfect issue for evoking emotions, it involves nationalism, the economy, jobs, and just a hint of racism. Ultimately there wont be sweeping changes in our immigration policy.
  • Options
    Yeah, these laws only apply to Illegal Immigrants.
  • Options
    People dont get thousands of dollars in debt to people smugglers, leave their home and family and travel thousands of miles to a country where you dont speak the language just to sponge off the non-existant Welfare system.
  • Options
    "Immigration" or as it's otherwise known - "moving house".

If moving from houston to washington doesn't hurt anyone, moving from Mexico to washington can't either.
  • Options
    So what if they are illegal immigrants?

America needs them just as much as they need to leave to leave their home countries to just about earn a living in America.

Like bong said, it's not as if they're going there to take any advantage of welfare. They go there to work 12 shifts in shit jobs ''legal'' Americans wouldn't touch with a 40ft pole.

If there really was a problem and the US was about to collapse under the weight of immigration (to use one of the favourite expressions of xenophobics everywhere), then I could understand the need of removing them. But that's not the case at all- on the contrary: the US thrives on the illegal immigration workforce.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Illegals don't pay tax [/klintock]
  • Options
    Like the american population, expect native americans, are not immigrants anyway... they might be legal, but coming to exploit people and kill them to take their land is not what I would call really legal... even if by definition it might be...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Because if it included legal immigrants it would mean a wild policy change.
    Like bong said, it's not as if they're going there to take any advantage of welfare. They go there to work 12 shifts in shit jobs ''legal'' Americans wouldn't touch with a 40ft pole.
    I'm not sure if that's really the case. But lets face it, having a bunch if "illegal immigrants" (because if they're illegal what does that make all us chalkies that stole this land in the first place?) isn't going to make the job market that much more competative. At best, having an influx of people will create more jobs.
    If there really was a problem and the US was about to collapse under the weight of immigration (to use one of the favourite expressions of xenophobics everywhere), then I could understand the need of removing them. But that's not the case at all- on the contrary: the US thrives on the illegal immigration workforce.
    yup.
  • Options
  • Options
    Like the american population, expect native americans, are not immigrants anyway... they might be legal, but coming to exploit people and kill them to take their land is not what I would call really legal... even if by definition it might be...

No they are immigrants also. Pretty much any inhabitant of any country is an immigrant. You think English people just gre out of the ground here?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    No they are immigrants also. Pretty much any inhabitant of any country is an immigrant. You think English people just gre out of the ground here?

So they are immigrant from where then?

Also technically it has never proven that we come from evolution, there is still some missng links... but unless we come from an other planet, which could be possible, it is impossible that every single human of every countries is an immigrant... At the vatican they are all 100% immigrant tho...
  • Options
    So they are immigrant from where then?

Also technically it has never proven that we come from evolution, there is still some missng links... but unless we come from an other planet, which could be possible, it is impossible that every single human of every countries is an immigrant... At the vatican they are all 100% immigrant tho...

We all came from the East Coast of Africa (well that's where the earliest humans have been found and the most likely source of human life). Humans developed from Amphibious-like creatures. Migration has meant that we've moved all over the world, developing certain races. Native Americans according to Wikipedia came from Siberia and entered The Americas from what we now would call Alaska.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    We all came from the East Coast of Africa (well that's where the earliest humans have been found and the most likely source of human life). Humans developed from Amphibious-like creatures. Migration has meant that we've moved all over the world, developing certain races. Native Americans according to Wikipedia came from Siberia and entered The Americas from what we now would call Alaska.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

Humm... Interesting... this would explain why native americans do look like some people living in Alaska... But then again not all inks have been found so it is just so supposition... would be fucking funny if we actually come from space imo...
  • Options
    would be fucking funny if we actually come from space imo...

According to these nutters we do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu
  • Options
    Almost certainly we all come from Africa.

Though we're already derailing heavily from the topic so I'll say no more on it.

With regard to America, the fact that the country is not harmed at all by their illegal immigrants (indeed most people would agree the country benefits from them) leads me to suspect those who ask for illegal immigrants to be expulsed are bigoted racist scumbags.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    With regard to America, the fact that the country is not harmed at all by their illegal immigrants (indeed most people would agree the country benefits from them) leads me to suspect those who ask for illegal immigrants to be expulsed are bigoted racist scumbags.

I think there's a lot more to do with this than race.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Almost certainly we all come from Africa.

Though we're already derailing heavily from the topic so I'll say no more on it.

I don’t have a particularly strong opinion, Americans don’t concern themselves with UK immigration policies so I don’t really see the need to critique US domestic policy. It’s interesting though that Mexico actually has far tougher anti-immigration policies than the USA has. (In the first eight months of 2005 alone more than 120,000 illegal immigrants in Mexico were deported...) Wikipedia.

Illegal immigrants benefit America but it’s incredibly simple to claim that America is ‘not harmed at all’ by illegal immigrants.

I suppose it depends who you are. If you’re a working class American in low paid work illegal immigration hurts you, when there’s a limitless pool of cheap labour wages are kept artificially low. Another drawback of illegal immigration is in how many are in prison. Figures seem to vary between 17% and 33% - but a significant proportion regardless of the federal prison population are illegal immigrants, the percentage is very high too at state level in some states.

For the illegal immigrants themselves there’s a benefit and a chance to get a better life and business benefits from cheap labour. Some Americans have concerns but most of them are not driven by racism. There's not an easy answer but an expansion of legal immigration is the most realistic option (as favoured by Bush).
  • Options
    I am not sure how sure you can be about the effect of illegal immigration on the wages of low skilled workers in developed countries (assuming that the bulk of illegal immigrants are low-skilled which is probably not that unreasonable)

I have seen studies suggesting that the central factor in the relative fall of low-skilled wages is skill-biased technological change developed world industry rather than immigration or globalisation (of which immigration is part)