Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bristol...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone live in or been out in Bristol?

More specifically, Bristol Academy?

The next One Nation is there, and it looks pretty good... Im thinking of missioning it over, but alot of people have been saying Bristol is a rough shit whole (No offence to anyone that lives there)

It would take me about 4 hours to get there, and this One Nation isnt even open that late, finishes at 4am!! I would also have to find a B&B or something to stay at!
I'm trying to decide weather it would be worth it, or just wait till the next time its at Brixton Academy...

I :heart: Brixton Academy!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I live in Bristol, well on the outskirts. I don't go out in Bristol but many people rate it. Skive will know. Its got its rough areas like everywhere.
  • Options
    Boooooo to the academy :impissed:

Thats where some bloke got raped. Although im sure that doesn't happen on a regular basis. It's usually full of sweaty looking goths.

How dare you call my city that :p It ain't too bad!
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Boooooo to the academy :impissed:

Thats where some bloke got raped. Although im sure that doesn't happen on a regular basis. It's usually full of sweaty looking goths.

How dare you call my city that :p It ain't too bad!

I never called it that!! I have never been there, its just what I heard! What can I say... im from Surrey! :p

How can a bloke get raped!? Surely the fact that he got it up counts as consent!! If a woman tried to rape me im sure the fella wouldnt stand to attention!!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    I never called it that!! I have never been there, its just what I heard! What can I say... im from Surrey! :p

How can a bloke get raped!? Surely the fact that he got it up counts as consent!! If a woman tried to rape me im sure the fella wouldnt stand to attention!!

Hehe by another bloke? :chin:

You surrey folk eh. Do you know nothing :p
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Hehe by another bloke? :chin:

You surrey folk eh. Do you know nothing :p

oooh! haha :blush:

How silly of me!

ummmm, I think I might wait for the Brixton one!! :p

the line up does look good though! :grump:
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    oooh! haha :blush:

How silly of me!

ummmm, I think I might wait for the Brixton one!! :p

the line up does look good though! :grump:

Brixton? And your worried that Bristol is rough :p
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Brixton? And your worried that Bristol is rough :p

haha, I was waiting for someone to say that...

I dont think Brixton is that bad... I have never seen any trouble there. I know it used to be really bad. One of my ex gf's grew up there and said there were stabbings and shootings all the time.

I have only ever been to the Academy and Fridge... never even seen a fight!

Although the last One Nation I went to there, was a few moody fuckers about, but I suppose you will get that everywhere!
  • Options
    Well no Bristol isn't that bad either. If it's a crackin line up here then you should give it a go. Don't be scared!
  • Options
    lol
    Its not really the roughness that bothers me, I dont tent to start trouble!
    Its more of weather the place is a shit whole or not (Not Bristol, I ment the academy! :p )

Its a mission to get there and will cost a bit cos I will have to stay over somewhere! I want to make sure its worth it!
  • Options
    I've never been inside the Academy, like i said it's usually full of gothy like people and i'm not really one for moshing. So i can't really say what it's like inside. All i know is it's big and gets very busy and crowded. It could be alright.
  • Options
    I spent a new years eve there once, from what I remmeber it was fine. I lies Bristol, usually has a banging night out there!
  • Options
    Im at uni there, academy aint dodge at all, but tbh iv never been on a drum and bass night. Got a massive stage and really big bar, plus quite a nice chill out area and another smaller room upstairs. Securities good aswell, they've got metal detectors so no moody bastard's guna stab you! Theres a holiday inn express bout 10-15mins away aswell if your worried about accomodation
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I love Bristol but have never been to Bristol Academy - I go to Lakota.

I've been to One Nation a few times before however, and it's always moody as fuck.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The Academy sucks balls. Not a bad gig venue but as far as the club nights go, it's dreadful. Don't really know what you're into but Bristol has so many good music venues, it would be a shame to go all the way down there to visit the Academy. It does have an awesome pub outside it though with resident rock and roll lookalikes.
  • Options
    The Academy sucks balls. Not a bad gig venue but as far as the club nights go, it's dreadful. Don't really know what you're into but Bristol has so many good music venues, it would be a shame to go all the way down there to visit the Academy. It does have an awesome pub outside it though with resident rock and roll lookalikes.

But my reason for going is a specific event thats being held at the academy, its not just a normal club night!

Well I will see, I doubt its going to sell out any time soon, and there is a couple of months left!
    If not might just go to a Ram Records night at The End in London... so much closer! :D
  • Options
    I went to Hardcore Heaven at the Academy and I thought it was a really nice club inside. Compared to some of the other clubs we have in Bristol I think it's one of the better ones.
  • Options
    Aspire wrote:
    I went to Hardcore Heaven at the Academy and I thought it was a really nice club inside. Compared to some of the other clubs we have in Bristol I think it's one of the better ones.

There are so many better clubs in Bristol than the Academy!
  • Options
    Yeah, wouldn't be surprised. I'm pleased Gatecrasher are doing events @ the Baja club these days.. always thought it was smart as fuck in there (even though it's classed as a bar type place). Got any examples of nicer clubs?

The Academy is still good enough for an event though, I wouldn't class it as a shithole.
  • Options
    Aspire wrote:
    Yeah, wouldn't be surprised. I'm pleased Gatecrasher are doing events @ the Baja club these days.. always thought it was smart as fuck in there (even though it's classed as a bar type place). Got any examples of nicer clubs?

The Academy is still good enough for an event though, I wouldn't class it as a shithole.

Baja? You gots to be joking me. Are you like 14 or something?!

I have no examples but sure there are some :p
  • Options
    Haha, well I wouldn't step foot in it if it wasn't for Gatecrasher. If you find out any of these grown-up clubs then let me know ;)
  • Options
    I've been out of Bristol, and the UK come to think of it for about a year on my errant travels and I think the Level club has shut down which is a shame. Ok it was blatantly run by the Yardies but for ages it was the best drum and bass club in the city, and for the city that gave birth to drum and bass, that's saying something.

Bierkeller is fantastic if you like rawk and metal and the goth crowd, as all goths are pretty much, are a very sedate bunch who are just there to have a few beers and listen to some good music. Despite the fact that they look scary, 99% are very peaceful. It's normally the chav who gets in there by mistake that starts shit.

Old Fire Station is a fave of mine. And Po Na Na on a tuesday when my very talented DJ friend plays. Soda bar has the best decor of any Bristol club but the Hatchet wins on all fronts.
  • Options
    Level's still open - runs a truly 14 year old indie emo-esque night on wednesdays :no: .

I love Lakota for a really good heavy night with amazing music (anybody else here go to the last few Tribe of Frogs?). Dojo's is pretty cool, if a bit pretentious every now and again, and Native on Small Street is tiny but manages to bag some awesome acts (Bonobo and Nicky Blackmarket were both down in the sace of about a week). Cosie's in St Paul's is a wonderful little wine bar with some great reggae acts on..... but if you're worried about the danger of the ACADEMY (i.e, the centre of town), I wouldn't bother venturing into St Paul's.

I find the Academy overcrowded most of the time, and the layout is such that it's like being at a big gig most of the time, rather than a club. The dancefloor's too big - in fact it's huge - gets rammed pretty quick so you can't lift your arms to dance anyway, and then to get to the bar and back you piss off at least 12 people by squeezing past. no no no.
  • Options
    been to the academy a couple of times, to see the Go! team, and Mr Scruff, both of which where amaaazing. especially Mr Scruff, because the set was really long :)

on a similar note, does anyone know what kind of music is played in oceana on a thursday night?
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    does anyone know what kind of music is played in oceana on a thursday night?

I didnt know there was one in Bristol... I live near the one in Kingston, if its the same it will be commercial stuff like R&B, hip hop, house, dance etc etc

By the way... i'm not going to this Bristol event now... there is one at Brixton Academy the month after and thats much closer to me and it goes on later, so I will just wait for that one!
  • Options
    I went once on a Thursday and it was commercial, cheesy stuff, R&B and housey stuff. That was a while back though.
  • Options
    figured it's be the same old crap, but I'm going with a bunch of freinds, so it should be fun. Think it's student night on thursdays or something too :)