Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you live near your parents?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I do. I'm not ashamed to say I love them very much, but I feel that there are opportunities further elsewhere that I might be missing. How do you cope with being away from your family? Do you relish it? Perhaps you can't stand your parents and hardly see them?

Comments

• Options
    To be honest since I had a kid, and my dad got promoted etc I hardly see him even though he moved like 2 miles from me a couple of months ago, we are very busy people.

My mum lives about 20 miles away, I do try and visit at least every few weeks
  • Options
    I live about 170 miles away from home, but thats because i'm at Uni. But i quite like living a bit further away from them as they tend to be a bit over-protective and i think that our relationship has got a lot better since i moved away. I don't know if i'm too keen on moving back home after i graduate though... maybe a bit closer, but still not too near. I like my independence
  • Options
    I live about 15 miles from my parents which is about a 20 minute drive. I see them probably at least twice a week.
  • Options
    If you are undertaking research then please get permission from a moderator first.

If you're not then I am sorry, but are sounding like a journalist after soundbites for an article. If you are, you need permission from youthnet first.

I live far enough from them to have my own life, but close enough to go and see them often enough.
  • Options
    I live 400 miles from them. Close enough to have a weekend with them whever I feel like visiting. Far enough so I don't end up like the boyfriend who lives just a few miles from them and we are forced to eat dinner and go out to eat with them and his bitching whining concieted bitch of a mom all the fucking time.
  • Options
    I live in an other country than my parents, got a sea between us, go back home barely 2 to 3 time a year and that the way I like it... They're good people, but fucking boring and I like to live my own life... For me the only family that really count is partner + kids...
  • Options
    I live with them. When I go to Uni, I'll most probably still live here too, as looking into going to Chichester Uni, and I live near Brighton, so makes sense. Sometimes wish I lived a million miles away though :(
  • Options
    I live with my mum and step dad. My real dad died and I don't really get on with my step dad. Same old story really. But I'm getting my own room in the garage so I'll get my own space which shoooould help.
  • Options
    I live bout 50 miles away, but still see them alot, an im glad. I dont miss them when im away as such, its just nice to come home. Although my mams moving back home to ireland soon so i wont see her as much then.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I live quite far away from them. It's how it turned out with one thing and another. I don't like it, but there isn't much else I can do with it at the moment.
  • Options
    I'm living with my parents again after uni. It's okay cos I get on with them quite well, but I've just realised tonight the downside of it. The same night I've got a girl coming round just happens to be the same night that they decided to not go out on a monday night for the first time in about 10 years. :grump: Well that and the fact that I'm stuck in a tiny room, and my sisters huge room is remaining a shrine to her, despite the fact that she doesn't live in the same country any more. But I suppose the cheap rent, free food, and daily laundry/cleaning service makes up for it a bit.
  • Options
    i live with my mum and step-dad while i'm not at uni about 40 minutes away. my dad lives about 5 hours away on the train. my mums parents live about as south as you can get too. not sure where i'll end up living when i'm older...same goes for my mum.
  • Options
    Kermit, this is definitely a personal enquiry. I am having issues at the moment thinking about my next move. I guess I've got "separation anxiety". I have lived far from my family before - 127 miles, also in another country. I guess I want to cherish the time I have with them but this conflicts what I want to achieve myself.
    So, no I am NOT a journalist but thanks for the compliment! This is definitely about me and not an article.
  • Options
    Kermit, this is definitely a personal enquiry. I am having issues at the moment thinking about my next move. I guess I've got "separation anxiety". I have lived far from my family before - 127 miles, also in another country. I guess I want to cherish the time I have with them but this conflicts what I want to achieve myself.
    So, no I am NOT a journalist but thanks for the compliment! This is definitely about me and not an article.

127 miles is far? Hardly. If you want to be near them or are missing them what stops you from just visiting them on the weekends?
  • Options
    I am very close to my mother, it also helps a lot that we have the same spiritual and political affiliation. I am studying 200 miles from home and it isn't as hard as you might think, or at least I didn't find it hard.The first few weeks are always strange... I remember fnding out that msn has a webmessenger and got in contact with my friends, I was bouncing!

You can always phone your family, or keep in contact with them. They will love you just as much wherever you are, they are as much your family as ever, you just wouldn't see tem in the flesh as much and when you do see them it'll mean so much more (not that it doesn't now)... Or that's what I think. I cream myself when I find out I get to see my little brother (chaos_insomniac for those who don't now).

I was worried too before I left about being away from loved ones, but it really helped me grow.
  • Options
    I live about 50 miles away from my parents.

I live with my Dad and whilst at home I live about 4 miles away from my Mum and step-dad's house.

To be honest, I don't see my parents all that much.
  • Options
    I pop home when I can but even though I live in London, they live just outside, and both often work here, we're all really busy. I tend to have a lot on in the evenings with the students' union or somesuch and I work weekends.

I miss my sister more, really, because I see her less and chat to her less. She lives about 2 hours train journey from London but it's finding the time to make it...
  • Options
    My old man lives 20 miles away, I answer the phone to him when I want something- usually money or to see if grandma's ok. My old dear lives less than a mile away and I phone her when I want something, usually a babysitter. My second mom lives in another country and I skype her everyday and visit as often as I have the time and moolah.
  • Options
    I live about 120 miles away. Quite good as its not that inconvineant when i need to pop home but far enough away to stop them from visiting every weekend. I dont miss them that much, its nice to go home every now and again to see everyone but going back for more than a few days does my fucking nut in.

Ideally would move all my friends from home down here and just visit easter/christmas/birthdays, harsh but fair!
  • Options
    I live in a different country to my mum n dad, about a 3/4 hour plane ride away. I don't mind as I had my own life when I lived with them anyway, I visit once a year for a cheap week in the sun and they were back over here to visit family and friends at christmas. It works well for me because I like my independance and I love having my own house to party in.
  • Options
    Well i still live at home with my dad and my mum only lives a 15 minute walk away in a near by village although i never really 'hang out' with my parents i onlyreally see my dad in passing and thats because i live with him.
  • Options
    My mum and dad don't live incredibly far away but they live on an island so it's a pain in the ass to get to. My mum phones me most days and my dad comes to see me when he's over on business. I don't really miss them, tbh. I get on with them but we're not incredibly close. I tend to keep myself to myself when it comes to family.
  • Options
    I still live with mine! We get on quite well but I'm starting to look forward to being able to move out at some point. My Brother lives in south london and I miss him as I only see him about 10 times a year now and we are really close.
  • Options
    Next door!!!
  • Options
    I live about 10 minutes walk from my mum. Were quite close and see each other 2 or 3 times most weeks.
    My dad i see once a year, he lives in scotland and i probably phone him once every 3 months.
  • Options
    10 mins drive. I see them about twice a week
  • Options
    I live about 250 miles from my mum. Maybe less. It takes me about 4 hours on the train to go back up north (the lake district) from where i am (north london/hertfordshire)
  • Options
    mine live 2 miles away, which could be a disaster if they were clingy parents, but they aren't, so it works out well for me. i can be round in minutes if i need, but then sometimes i won't hear from them for a week.
  • Options
    Kermit, this is definitely a personal enquiry.

That's fine:D

It's just the way you phrased the question, journos fishing always use that structure. And there's been a lot of fishing journos round these parts...