Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Working Out at home

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Well starting from tomoz im going to be doing sit ups, push ups, my dumbells, and my punchbag, im going to be going for a run about a mile too....what else is their that i can do ??? no stupid comments please.

Also what you thinks the best food to eat ...chicken and rice? etC?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    sensible balanced diet? a personal trainer session at a gym to advise you on working out at home and diet? what are you trying to acheive?

(or moving this to sport and fitness ;) )
  • Options
    Eat a lot of fruit veg rice pasta chicken fish a couple of chocolate bars for energy.A good warm up and cool down and having a good nights sleep too. :thumb:
    Try doing different types of press-ups and crunches,i.e close arm press ups,wide arm,diamonds and crossover crunches,v-crunches and legs flat.
    And as for running.......... :rolleyes: I think its an evil form of exercise conjured up by sadists to cause shortness of breath,nausea,dizzyness,dead legs,burning chest and a raw throat(especially when done up a muddy,rutted bridleway after a trotting horse into the wind...... :eek2: )But if you want, try doing a bit of sprinting at the end of your mile to really work your lungs and heart.Just make sure you stretch or you`ll feel it in the morning!!! :razz:
  • Options
    For an extra boost dextrose tablets are great for running or any other tough aerobic excercise.

Also, if you are looking to lose weight then long slow runs are recommended. If you are unfit then start off slow, don't run too far to soon, it can be damaging more than being a benefit.

If you are looking to build muscle as well as tone then quicker runs are a good idea. Running up and down banks at speed can also be very benificial.
  • Options
    skipping rope.
  • Options
    Don't forget to warm up and warm down too.
  • Options
    done that skipping rope thing...bloody hard lol
  • Options
    Hiya i was gonna start a thread but found this thread so posting here.

So let me give you a bitta background :
    Totally unfit, never been fit for gawd knows how long :eek2:
    Packed in smoking 4 months ago and now I NEED to loose the gut (cos now instead of smoking im stuffing me face). I tried to do sit ups tonight but it killed me :eek2:

I bought jeans for my hols and tried them on tonight but they wont fit and im well peed off :eek2:

Dont fancy the gym cos I just have this thing about looking stoopid infront of all these fitness freaks

Help :lol:
  • Options
    Start gently and build up.The first month of exercise will feel like hell but it gets better after. :thumb:
    Just do simple things like 2x 10 sit ups every day then 15 the next week etc.
    If you try to run before you can walk your in for some serious pain and aches.
  • Options
    To be honest you won't really shed much weight doing small sets of sit-ups and a slow speed. But it's a start. Think about going for a walk at a nice pace, it's summer afterall and the weather is good for it. There's a lady around my area who I see very often who walks at a fast pace and she has got into shape well indeed. Then maybe start a jog if you feel like you're upto it. If swimming is an option then you will see good results if you stick at it, an all body workout works wonders. But if you excercise once in awhile and have an unhealthy diet, then shedding even a few pound can be a task.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    But if you excercise once in awhile and have an unhealthy diet, then shedding even a few pound can be a task.

Aye but thats where things fo me must change. Im gonna have to try to do more excersies and also start eating decent stuff instead of crap all the time.
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • Options
    Do you have a mp3/walkman? Try this:

put 6 songs on that are happy boogie songs with a good paced stomping beat.

turn on and leave house

use the first song to walk casually away from prying neighbour's eyes, to a place you feel comfortable looking out of puff.

For the second song, walk as fast as you can whilst still being able to carry on a conversation with an imagininary friend.

For the third song. jog, really slowly- like you have all day to go a mile. If this is hard, split the song into sections using the verses as breaks to alternate between fast walking and slow jogging.

For the fourth song. Jog faster, or continue with the alternating thing.

Turn around and head home

Song five. If you don't hurt too bad, go back to slow jog. Or alternating between slow jog and fast walk.

Song six. Fast walk

You should be nearly home now, just walk at a pace where you're still moving but getting your breath back til you get home.

In your house. Do your sets of sit ups and push ups.

Stretch.

Write down what you did in your shiny new workout notebook.

Drink a glass of water and feel smug because you are now one of the motivated work-out peoples :D

ETA: feel doubly smug because you are also a non-smoker :D
  • Options
    ^^ You wouldn't want to be jogging faster at the early stages of an exercise program. Simply walking at a normal pace to a slow jog is beneficial. You don't want to risk injury or get worn out, especially if this is the first proper exercise you have had in years. Start short and slowly.

Excellent site you should read. http://exrx.net/Beginning.html
  • Options
    Best way to start running is to walk a minute then jog slowly for a minute,then the next week walk a minute and jog 2 minutes and just keep putting the jogging time up until you can jog for a whole 10 minutes.Then start the process again and work your way up to 20 minutes. :thumb:
    You`ll find starting gently and slowly like this will strengthen your muscles and shins better for whe you get onto longer runs. :yes:

Ps never neglect a warm up and cool down,stretching afterwards is what allows the muscles to tolerate more lactic acid.
  • Options
    ^^ Ideally Dynamic stretching before exercise, and static stretching afterwards.