Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any chefs out there?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I'm after some highly practical, highly cheap, highly nutritous snacks. Like sandwiches. Except, why are british sandwiches so mind-numbingly-boring. And if you want to get any interesting ingredients for them, like bits of marinaded chicken, its £3 a pack or something!!

Pasta pots too, really expensive but really nice.

Surely there must be an economical way to do it? I mean, pasta pots can stay in the fridge for a couple of days, make up a load of pasta for the week, toss in different ingredients into each one, and then pack them up with labels 'mon, tue, wed, thurs, fri' and have them for lunch at school :).

Now, its just working out some practical and cheap recipes, saying I've got £10 per week to go on. Would be nice to have some good sarnie recipes too, then I could alternate each week! :) Made me realise the other day, because my girlfriend works ina delicattessen and is good at making really nice sandwiches, but I just have no idea...

and the internet doesn't seem to turn much up either :(

Comments

• Options
    Made me realise the other day, because my girlfriend works ina delicattessen and is good at making really nice sandwiches, but I just have no idea...

Does she not have any ideas she can share with you?
  • Options
    Fresh bread makes a difference too.

A lot of deli sandwiches are quite bad for you cos they put sauces and dressings on to make it taste good.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Fresh bread makes a difference too.

A lot of deli sandwiches are quite bad for you cos they put sauces and dressings on to make it taste good.

Lol I suppose that's true.

My girlfriend does have some ideas but I was seeing if anyone here had the ultimate 'sandwich' :). I just had some fresh bread with butter on. :/ And enjoyed it, mind you.
  • Options
    Cheese toastie :yum:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Cheese toastie :yum:

:) yum

One thing I omitted really... most of these are for packed lunches lol, so I can prepare food when I do have time on my hand (like now), stack them up in the fridge, and pull out + eat at pleasure :). How well do sandwiches fare in the fridge, though?
  • Options
    Old sandwiches ming. Cold pasta lunches, if you like that kind of thing, will keep.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Old sandwiches ming. Cold pasta lunches, if you like that kind of thing, will keep.

I didnt really, but M&S ones are sooooooooooo unbelievably nice. The thing I'm worried about realy is getting something and then the ingredients going stale over the week. For example, bread. Or any pre-prepared meats tend to go hard when the air gets to them, unless you completely savagely cover them with clingfilm.
  • Options
    Why not make 2 batches each week. That way there is less of a chance of the food going stale. I agree with Kentish, sandwiches made the night before are just about OK. Any longer and they are not nice.

I normally make a batch of pasta salad on a Sunday night for Mon, Tues and Weds and then make a sandwich for Thursday and Friday in the mornings.
  • Options
    Sliced cold boiled new potato and marmite sandwiches are really really nice - was one of my grandad's secret recipes, but I'm sure he wouldn't have minded me sharing it with you good people!

Try it - it is nice!

Or cook a chicken, carve the meat off it, let it cool then mix it with light mayonnaise or salad cream, a little pepper and spread it in your sandwiches. You can store the chicken stuff in the fridge in a pot then in the morning just put it in the sandwich so that the bread doesn't go soggy.

You can then make chicken soup with the carcass.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Why not make 2 batches each week. That way there is less of a chance of the food going stale. I agree with Kentish, sandwiches made the night before are just about OK. Any longer and they are not nice.

I normally make a batch of pasta salad on a Sunday night for Mon, Tues and Weds and then make a sandwich for Thursday and Friday in the mornings.

That sounds very sensible actually :chin: hmmm I would do it tonight... (for tues / weds / thurs) xcept I dont know if I can myself together in time. And still havent found a pasta salad recipe - when I look through them they just have a list of them alphabetically, no grouping according to complexity or how many it serves or how expensive it is or whether its spicy or anything. :(
  • Options
    Good point. Potato salad would last a few days.
  • Options
    pasta salad isnt exactly hard to make, you can throw anything in it

get a bowl put in 2 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp vinager, 1 tsp tomato pasata (dead cheap and you can use it as pasta sauce aswell ), any herbs/ spices you micht have knocking about and black pepper, mix all together.

cooked pasta, red onion, cucumber diced into little bits, cherry tomatoes chopped in half, some kind of cooked meat like chicken or ham (chorizo is best but not exactly cheap), pour over sauce and mix

viola!
  • Options
    With a pasta salad, you can just chuck anything in.

I normally use pasta, cucumber, red onion, yellow pepper, grated carrot. Season it and put a bit of lemon juice and balsamic vinegar in. Simple.
  • Options
    i think if you get a bag of mixed salad leaves some tomatoes and a cucumber, some mayonnaise, you can make any sandwich posh and yummy. I prefer mixed salad leaves to buying a lettuce, even though lettuce is cheaper. it just makes it so much more appetising, and i always end up throwing away half the lettuce anyway and it goes all brown.
    Use decent bread too - none of that sliced crap - no sandwich looks appetising on 2 slices of sunblest.
    Egg mayonnaise is easy to make. Cheese salad, ham salad. you can use cheap cheese and cheap ham and it still tastes fine if the bread is nice and youve got salad and mayo with it.
  • Options
    cook some pasta and really remove the starch from it, by constantly changing water - the heat up some tinned tomato and herb as sainsburys sells now for like 50p

mix it all up and its quite nice, addind some chopped large pepper to the tomato sauce helps a lot too :)

its enough for 2 lunches using 1 tin of tomato stuff and enough pasta for that :)

cold stir fry chicken and rice is quite nice also, but you need to eat it the next day so it dont go too funy, and its a bit expensive

in terms of sandwiches, simple sandwiches are nicest personally with the most complicated being cheese ham and salad, use nice fresh bread it helps a lot - personally i hate mayonaise etc in sandwiches as it means you hardly taste anything else

if you want any other idea you can pm me when im not so drunk :p
  • Options
    Two batches a week would still mean eating 3 day old sandwiches a couple of days a week right? That wouldn't be nice.

Packets of sandwiches last longer than homemade as they contain more preservatives and are packinged in a protective atmosphere e.g. putting carbon dioxide in the packet in place of air. Homemade sandwiches are raely good after 24 hours.

I find it good to buy individual rolls a few times a week as they always go off if I buy a multi-pack.
  • Options
    if you want any other idea you can pm me when im not so drunk :p
    Don't you have an exam tomorrow?
  • Options
    Yes I'm a Chief Chef at the Theft school for Thiefs.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Don't you have an exam tomorrow?

yeh

my cramming is going okay so far :)

i managed to get past the group theory stuff somehow :eek2:

only thing left is the charming dr tocher's lecture course COUGH and the waffling one

shyboy, listen to her advice though, dont make sandwiches too mcuh in advance, the day before and left in the fridge is okay but still not great
  • Options
    yeh

my cramming is going okay so far :)

i managed to get past the group theory stuff somehow :eek2:

only thing left is the charming dr tocher's lecture course COUGH and the waffling one

shyboy, listen to her advice though, dont make sandwiches too mcuh in advance, the day before and left in the fridge is okay but still not great
    Are you revising drunk then?

I've got an exam tomorrow too. I'm scared :(
  • Options
    Not read all this thread, but I am a chef just got in infact, the sarnie of the day I put on at my restaurant was grilled goats cheese with plum tomatoes and rocket, I tried a bit and very nice it was too, (still wouldn't pay £7.25 for it though:P) or for a spin on an old favourite try a pancetta tomato and melted mozzarella.
    Salad wise something that lasts ages in the fridge is Bruschetta to make this roughly cut tomatoes add some basil a bit of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar.
    For pasta id just make a batch of pasta up for the week and then in the morning cook something and add the pasta into it, this works with anything particularly left overs.
    my advice would be to try different combinations and you may find something that suprises you.
  • Options
    Make your own cheese savoury. Grated cheese, onion, mayo and salad cream...just mix em all together and that would stay ok for 2/3 days in fridge (air tight container of course).

Make your own BLT sarnies. Fry the bacon and let it cool, add lettuce tomato and (mayo if you like)....sorted.

Pasta, like others have said just bung anything. I normally just add tomato, cucumber and sweetcorn. I normally make a couple of portions and use them within 2 days.

Cant think of nowt else :eek2:
  • Options
    I like to make my own wee tortilla wraps. Chicken Tikka strips, lettuce, bacon strips, ham, cheese and mayo. Roll it up and enjoy.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Are you revising drunk then?

I've got an exam tomorrow too. I'm scared :(

tipsy i was :D

and i got another wxam wednesday :(
  • Options
    frisee lettuce is nice in sandwiches very light but crunchy.
  • Options
    cold pizza

sausage rolls

make your own anything in puff pastry

cheese scones

rice/cous cous salad (similar to pasta salad)