Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

playing happy families

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so this is a bit awkward...

as you know my parents have separated. But still married and living together. My dad said he's not gonna move out for at least another 2 years because he wants to spend as much time with me and my brother before we grow up.
But the thing is, today we went out as a family....and it just felt fake because my dad was trying to play happy families and its like they've not even separated. I just found it really annoying because i've accepted they're splitting, so i just want it to be done with. Now it's like we're living double lives. Parents going out with new potential partners and doing their own thing, but then coming back and playing happy families. It's just frustrating and unfair because its confusing.
I feel i still get treated like a child too...today it was like ''i don't want to stay in today so if we're going out then you're coming''
I'm a young adult, i have to ask nicely for stuff so why can't i have it in return? I don't want to be told what to do like a child with no opinion. I wanted to revise and clean my room today but i haven't been able to.

I dunno if i'm being unreasonable or what, but i know if i spoke up i'd get called miserable and ungrateful. Sorry just needed a rant.

Comments

• Options
    At least your parents get on, even if they are separated.
  • Options
    Have you told your parents how you feel about this?
    I feel i still get treated like a child too...today it was like ''i don't want to stay in today so if we're going out then you're coming''

That's rubbish - when I was about 12 (maybe slightly older) I was able to stay at home on my own - well, my older brother would sometimes be around...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    At least your parents get on, even if they are separated.
    yeah i know, im happy about that. But if they're splitting up then get on with it rather than acting like nothings happening.
  • Options
    I agree, it could be a lot worse if they didn't get on.

But i think you should talk to one of them/both of them about how you feel. If you do it in an adult and mature way they should repsect what you're doing and what you're saying, and then you can try and come to some solution. I think its better if you get everything out in the open :)... if they dont know how you feel, they can't make it better
  • Options
    H-face wrote:
    I agree, it could be a lot worse if they didn't get on.

But i think you should talk to one of them/both of them about how you feel. If you do it in an adult and mature way they should repsect what you're doing and what you're saying, and then you can try and come to some solution. I think its better if you get everything out in the open :)... if they dont know how you feel, they can't make it better
    :yes: What he said.
  • Options
    I'm in a similar situation. My parents separated about 10 or so years ago but he still lives in the house. Doesn't feel all that awkward, suppose like anything, it gets more normal with time.