Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

changing personality traits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
in short i wanna stop being such a bitch.

im never mean to be outright nasty to people but usually paople take my jokes the wrong way. i am naturally a very sarcastic person and i just assume that everyone else is the same.

i didnt realise that i affected people until someone pointed out to me that i had offended one of my best mates.

my mates mean the world to me, really. i dont want to lose any friends, but on the other hand i dont want to stop being me.

any advise?

Comments

• Options
    Proper friends will always love you for who you are with your good assets and your flaws... If I was you I wouldn't try to change... If you are just being yourself now, just keep on doing that... you want people to like you for who you are and not for who you think they want you to be... I know doesn't really help you if you really want to change your personality traits, but imo don't do it...
  • Options
    Stop being a mean twat ;).

I know what you mean - I get the same thing. I guess it's just a case of working out where the line is - we all go over it from time to time, but we need to act quickly upon realising we've caused distress to those we care about.

Could do worse than just tell your close friends that you'd like them to tell you when you've gone over the mark, and that it'll never be intentional? :)
  • Options
    haha you're the same as me! though perhaps i'm not soo bad. think i've got better! my friends have got used to me and thankfully i have a nack for getting out of tricky situations. ;)
  • Options
    cheers for your thorts people,

i think im going to ask them to tell me when i've crossed the line, i was thinking about it before i posted. i was getting quite paraniod that they would turn aroung and go your perminantly accross the line lol
  • Options
    perhaps you could just think before you speak a bit more and remember when you're around people you don't really know?

either that or learn the nack of smiling sweetly like me! :angel:
  • Options
    Ooh that is EXACTLY like me!

Everyone takes stuff I say the wrong way, even my family who should know me well enough by now not to get offended!

I am trying to be 'nicer' but sometimes sarky little remarks just slip out! They're never intentionally nasty though.
  • Options
    I dont think you can really change the way you are. The best thing to do would probably be to tell this friend who got upset, that you had no idea you'd offended her.

Like nihilisticmadman already said, although it sounds a bit lame, real friends have ups and downs, but they're your friends for a reason.
  • Options
    Its easy to think that everyone thinks the same way as you. I dont care how people talk to me, but some people think I'm a tit when I am always so cutting.

I've had to thinka bout what I'm saying.