Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

advice please - routers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well right ok im quite good with computers once they're on and working and online etc, but when it comes to the wires at the back i wouldn't have a bloody clue! so until last week id never even heard of a router!

im moving back in with the rents and want to be able to use my laptop separately, they have their main computer hooked up to the internet (broadband not wireless) so what i want to know is if i go and buy a router how does it work and will i be able to use my laptop wireless from the next room?

and if i am buying a router if this is what i need what should i look for or will any old router do?

i dont know anything about routers and i was looking for some advice from peeps in the know!

thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Options
    To allow for routing and wireless you'd need to get either a "wireless adsl router" (if you have adsl) or a "wireless cable router" (if you have cable). That'll allow both computers to use the net independantly, either wired or wirelessly.
  • Options
    When you buy your router, I'd get a 54g wireless router.

The 54 is the speed
    The 'g' is the communication standard (you dont really need to worry about what it means)

Ignore anything with magic writing offering speed boosting or anything. Get a simple basic wireless router like Mist said.

Should cost you about £60 though, which sucks. I use a wire for my laptop, just more reliable.
  • Options
    pc world, as expensive as they are, seem to be be selling a Linksys 54g adsl router for £50 and it comes witha wireless adapter if you dont have one, its good buy as linksys make top quality stuff.