Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mega urgent help!

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Ok, this is the situation:

I have 2 HDD's, master and slave. C master, D slave. They have SWAPPED DESIGNATION. So winodws won't load off D, as it was installed to a drive called C. And the slave, now C, hasa new windows so I can boot at all I jsut installed.

How can I swap these cunts back? I Need to urgently, so I don't lose all my toss on a fresh install... and drive managment won't let me change the active drive.

Tosswank tbh. Helps. I need to swap C and D designation. Glad I lost no data, at least ;(

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    on stuff you can do is removed or disconnect the HD thayt does't have the OS and restart... having only HD should set it back to C and window should start again... then switch off re-connect the second one ad it might do the trick... not sure it will work, but that's what I would do, and technically it should do the trick...
  • Options
    All I can think of is if you have a piece of disk management software on CD or floppy that you can boot off to change the drive letters around.

Also I snagged this from a vaguely relevant support article -

Using the Recovery Console, you need to copy the following files from the root directory of the original system partition to the root directory of the current active partition (which is now drive C):
    NTLDR
    NTDETECT.COM
    BOOT.INI
    If the partition was not formatted using Windows, you may also need to use the Recovery Console's FIXBOOT command to make the active partition bootable.

After you are able to boot into Windows, it is recommended that you use the Windows Disk Management snap-in tool to reset the original system partition as the active partition, and reboot the computer. This will restore the correct system partition as the C: drive.

• Options
    TA... i'll go try some stuff.

How could it happen BTW...? Hackers cocking me about? Or what.. makes no sense! It did it whilst it was on, btw... it froze dead! Had to reset.. then no booting"
  • Options
    If one of the drives had a glitch and fell off the bus temporarily then it may have been picked up incorrectly somehow.

Otherwise who knows?
  • Options
    How horrendously gay!

As far as I can tell, the primary C hdd had a jumper failiure. It how ONLY works on Cable Select, or with the slave plugged in. Set as Master, it refuses to work, and the BIOS won't detect it.

I have had old HDD's do this before. This one isn't even *that* old though. Gaaahhhh. It is usually ones from 98 or older that go this mad.

So, Cable Select it is. Sigh... perhaps I need a new C... *sniff* its only as old as Windows XP though... so a few years.
  • Options
    You must be using it too much.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    You must be using it too much.

;o Doubtful, I don't use it that much... the most it get is left on for torrenting for a few days.

I know people who leave their on far longer... and if offices and places have theirs on nearly all the time, why should mine fail?
  • Options
    pull the power lead off c while pc is running.
    shut down or crash the pc.
    whilst pc is off ...reconnect power to c ...all should be well.
    nioman may have said similar i think.
  • Options
    pull the power lead off c while pc is running.
    shut down or crash the pc.
    whilst pc is off ...reconnect power to c ...all should be well.
    nioman may have said similar i think.

Nah.. I just know Teh_gerbil aint stupid and assumed he knew the system need to be shut down before disconnecting the HD... if there is only one HD it will be assign the letter C automatically... unless it's a bigger problem...