Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Car Advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

Basically i'm trying to get a new car and i'm really limited on my knowledge of what a good deal is or what cars are probably better ones etc. (although i realise sometimes it's just a matter of opinion).

Huge favour for anyone who knows something about cars-does the below sound like a good deal to you?

P REG - Rover 216 si 16v
5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 60,000 miles, Metallic Red, MOT-04-2007. Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/Cassette, cheap insurance, POWER STEERING, Central locking, Cloth upholstery, Colour coding - Body, Sunroof, Tinted glass, 12 MONTHS MOT, Spoiler £1275

Sorry to be cheeky but it's been a right week trying to work my way through the adverts and stuff.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a car that alot of things could go wrong on with lots of things being electric.
    Also from what i know Rovers as expensive if things go wrong...
  • Options
    It's got a low mile-age for it's age which is good, and 12 months mot which is good cause it means you won't have the expensive of that, it's also good to buy cars with as longer tax as you can because if its over a 1.4 just that can cost £90 for 6 months.
    I reckon if the body is in good condition no dents/big scratches and what not the price or around a grand sounds about right. Just remember though, things are only really worth what people are willing to pay for them. You might also find this usefull gives you a rough estimated value anyway

http://www.parkers.co.uk/
  • Options
    Price is okay. Lower would be nicer. Biggest problem with Rovers is head gasket failure - they routinely fail around 40-60k. Tell-tale signs are nasty white gunk in the oil and brown messy stuff in the expansion tank. If everything is clean, then be suspicious.

Lovely engines, nice cars, well equipped and quite well made. Head gasket failure on them can be somewhat expensive, especially if they get too hot as the cylinder liners tend to sink into the block. This means you'd end up with a reconditioned engine - more trouble than the car is worth.

If it has had a head gasket change, then it should be a good car for a while. If there is no history with the car, then bank on the worst case scenario - there are loads of these out there, many of them owned by mature drivers and well cared for. Nobody really wants them because Rover has a bad name - mostly because of the head gaskets that keep popping.

If it doesn't seem right, then walk. It's a buyers market out there.

If you're local to Stafford then I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.
  • Options
    Sounds like a nice car for just over a grand but im not a fan of Rovers. Id never consider buying one.

Tax is a higher price on over 1.6 and above,
  • Options
    Might seem silly cos I'm not into the cars thing, but when I check a bike over I always check the wear on the tyres - expensive to get replaced.... make sure its got the V5 and the log book, check through and see what its had done and when its last service was. You may want to consider getting a HPI check to make sure its not nicked :p but thats up to you really.
  • Options
    Price is okay. Lower would be nicer. Biggest problem with Rovers is head gasket failure - they routinely fail around 40-60k. Tell-tale signs are nasty white gunk in the oil and brown messy stuff in the expansion tank. If everything is clean, then be suspicious.

Lovely engines, nice cars, well equipped and quite well made. Head gasket failure on them can be somewhat expensive, especially if they get too hot as the cylinder liners tend to sink into the block. This means you'd end up with a reconditioned engine - more trouble than the car is worth.

If it has had a head gasket change, then it should be a good car for a while. If there is no history with the car, then bank on the worst case scenario - there are loads of these out there, many of them owned by mature drivers and well cared for. Nobody really wants them because Rover has a bad name - mostly because of the head gaskets that keep popping.

If it doesn't seem right, then walk. It's a buyers market out there.

If you're local to Stafford then I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.
    i agree with this post

i would not buy a rover at all though,he has outlined the major problems and they are major!....believe me!

personally,i would buy a golf for the same money.but its up to you ;)
  • Options
    Thanks muchos everyone :yes: Spoke to the boyfriend last night (not had chance before as he's been really busy workwise) and he's now made it his task to help me find a motor. He pretty much said the same as click to see more so that's cool. Rang the bloke about the Rover and he was a knob, there's no service history with it and his excuse was "well it's only done 60,000 so it shouldn't really have much anyway". He was trying to you're female i'll lie routine. :rolleyes:

So waiting for the admag on wednesday then blokie is going to sit and go through it for me and see what he thinks. He's a farm mechanic so he can have a look at the engine for me as well. Useful things these boyfriends i'm finding out :thumb:

oh and clicktoseemore - thanks for the offer of checking it out for me, that was really nice of you :yes: