Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

UK Medicine Choices

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone find what we can get over the shelves in the Uk is pretty crap to what you can get in other countries?

Right now I've got a sore throat and tried Strepsils which I got from the chemist and they're weak as anything

However got a packet of this stuff which my cousin brought back from Canada and they're so much more effective .. so annoying you can't buy decent stuff here!! :mad:

cepacol.jpg

Comments

• Options
    You can get stuff like that here, make sure to buy throat tablets over the counter, otherwise they will just be suger sweets with a bit of honey.
  • Options
    Deqacane or something like that is much better than sterpsils.

You just have to ask instead of buying off the shelf.
  • Options
    Merocaine and Dequacaine both have the ingredient thats in the one above(benzocaine) that numbs the throat, and your whole mouth. They both also have an anti-bacterial ingredient too.
  • Options
    are those your finger nails?
  • Options
    In Brazil you can get some amazing sore throat stuff (I always stock up when I'm there). You can get tablets and also you can buy a spray for your throat and when you have used it you cannot even feel that you have a throat anymore! You can feel your head and you can feel the lower part of your neck but not the bit inbetween!

Also there you can get some Antibiotics over-the-counter which probably isn't that great an idea.

You cannot buy anything containing Loperamide (imodiam and other diarhera medicines) as that stuff is illegal there. It is pretty bad for you though so it makes sense.
  • Options
    Vicks Ultra-Chloraseptic throat spray- like the above-mentioned lozenges contains benzocaine-its an anaesthetic.

How strange that loperamide is illegal. You can buy it off a supermarket shelf here!!!
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Vicks Ultra-Chloraseptic throat spray- like the above-mentioned lozenges contains benzocaine-its an anaesthetic.
    Cool! That stuff is amazing, I might try and get some here.