Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quantum Bigfoot Hard Drive

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
WTF is up with these things?! Building 2 I have into a PC... goddamn brilliant Idea they had, making the platters bigger... but whoa. Madness. Giant bitcharse things.

Anyone actually know the motivation behind doing it?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    from what I heard, they were a bit crap, and the cheap end of the hard drive market. Oh and I'm waiting for 1 TB drives.

750GB should be out soon, read here:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/20/2358213&from=rss
  • Options
    Fecking Hell. That's big.

As for the Bigfoot drives... got any info on these fuckers? I'd like to know more about them... got the two free, so meh. They'll be fine in a P1 rig.
  • Options
    Hard drive space is expensive because they have to cram more into the same sized space. To make cheap but big hard drives, they just moved to bigger platters.

Crappy seek times, but rather reliable. Good value storage - music, films, etc - but I'd stick to having one as a second drive. Install your OS on something a bit quicker :).

Can't remember how long Quantum made them for. They weren't massively popular - you could get a normal drive for around 10% more. Had they been cheaper, then they'd have made a much bigger impact on the market as a secondary storage medium.
  • Options
    I cant remember the exact details, but I just remember some friends telling me that they were crappy. For second hand on a p1 system, I dont think it really matters.

And may I ask why you have a P1 system running? my last p1 was decomissioned about 2 years ago. My new phone has more ram and a faster proc, and that just makes me laugh
  • Options
    Why...? Because I can.

I have three Good PC's... an average 1100 Duron. A 486. Another P1 that works. And a spare one kicking about.

If I build the spare one up, I can sell it. Or maybe give it to a mate.
  • Options
    And may I ask why you have a P1 system running? my last p1 was decomissioned about 2 years ago. My new phone has more ram and a faster proc, and that just makes me laugh

Chances are that a Pentium MMX might be slower than your phone on a clock-for-clock basis, but the Pentium would slaughter it in any kind of real-world benchmark.

Read up on how Intel ramped their processors up to high speeds, and how their processors perform in comparison to a Duron or Athlon of the same speed.

Old computers can have many uses - a simple webserver for working on HTML at home, a firewall, a music server, an email machine - even a MySQL cluster.

They may be old and far inferior to what is on the market today, but they most definately still have their uses.