Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Choosing a good online alias

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not that I'm going to be changing mine anytime soon - its part of my identity here really - but I have considered getting one on other places more up to date. How do you go about it? I just had an idea - 'civilian', but it seems to be already in use, unfortunately :(.

Something quite catchy. Not necessarily suggestions, but how do people go about it? Mine are crap. Currently it's "TheShyBoyInTheCorner", "Paul Stavanger" and "Dreaming". Dislike all of them really...

Comments

• Options
    I find it really hard to make up new names, so I normally just have variations of the same one or chuck in a ginge or banana somewhere. My next one will be 'strawberry flavoured lawnmower' if I could have it but I think it would be too long. :(
  • Options
    depends where I am, I have a couple I use. Although this one's unique to insure anonymity :p

I use the same one for all the fps' I play, and another for mmorpg's, and a third for weblogs and chatting etc :lol:

allthough the first one dates back to playing TFC on 56k modem... good times :)
  • Options
    Just pick something really random and obscure..

all else fails just pick a random object and an adjective. Et voila, a new online name!

Such as "Dancing Table" for example.
    Hmm on second thoughts, that idea sucks.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    allthough the first one dates back to playing TFC on 56k modem... good times :)
    :lol: :thumb:
  • Options
    Read an obscure Japanese book and pick a word from there. That's how I got my normaly alias. Or, be very bored and on drugs, that's how I got this one...
  • Options
    Read an obscure Japanese book and pick a word from there. That's how I got my normaly alias. Or, be very bored and on drugs, that's how I got this one...
    Gotta love those drugs...what inspiration they seem to give you. :p
  • Options
    Do what a friend of mine did on Chapionship Manager - use a famous person's name?

Years ago on a message board I used to post on, there was someone who took the name of a song and their name was the song read backwards which was quite interesting...
  • Options
    I use an old handle that I came up with when I first started playing games online in about '98. The sad thing is, it star trek-ish, but quite obscure. Oh, and this nick I use here is also from star trek. Please dont hurt me.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Phallic_Prince_3rd

That'd be my choice.
  • Options
    I have an alias of N_igma on another board I visit.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Gotta love those drugs...what inspiration they seem to give you. :p
    Indeed, I consider myself an artiste of the online alias variety :D
  • Options
    Well "Paul Stavanger" is the protaganist in a really good book :). I want something that can have some permenence, something that is catchy, something thats respectable. :chin:

ShyBoy / Dreaming was just me trying to describe myself :p
  • Options
    I've started using "Rowley Poly Bird" - not only does it mean people can see how to pronounce my surname, it's kinda cute...
  • Options
    X_x_Sxxy_babe_14_x_X.

Works well as a username i think.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    X_x_Sxxy_babe_14_x_X.

Works well as a username i think.
    :lol: I think that's what the police use when they're searching out "unsavoury types"...