Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

charles clarke calls for a not proven verdict

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
yet another repressive move

it's quite easy to secure a verdic as such i'd beleive ie just take the person to court for something and they get labelled with it...

this already exists in scotland by the way, personally i see it as further destruction of peoples basic rights

Comments

• Options
    Not proven = guilty but unable to demonstrate it in court.

It could never work, and that verdict is just asking for discrimination against people who have such verdicts on their record. Either someone is proved guilty beyond reasonable doubt (or on the balance of probability) or they are not. If not, then everyone should get the not proven verdict, or an acquittal as was.

Surely it is a disincentive for the prosecution lawyers to be rigorous in their evidence?
  • Options
    Can you imagine the media stories which would follow a "not proven" verdict in a notorious case?
  • Options
    Its another small step, it will be on the balance of probabilities for most trials soon, then the defendant proving their innocence.
  • Options
    yet another repressive move

it's quite easy to secure a verdic as such i'd beleive ie just take the person to court for something and they get labelled with it...

this already exists in scotland by the way, personally i see it as further destruction of peoples basic rights

So, what happens to the "burden of proof" then?
  • Options
    Next they will be putting people on trial over an dover until they get the verdict they want...wait, they do that already too!
  • Options
    a similar thing has existed forever ...it's called putting the case on file.
    gives the old bill another five years to come up with more evidence.