Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Throwing my own night??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Right ok im in a crazy mood today and this sounds way too ambitious but was just thinking about what it would take to find a place like a small club, say on normally a quiet night and have my own club night. Have been really thinking now about trying to start DJ'ing out and about. Really bored of the scene around here in Nottingham. But tis hard these days to get a gig so would be brill if i could make my own night.

I know some other DJ friends etc who could also play. I know its probably a crazy idea but just been thinking about it. What would it take?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hmm well maybe i wasnt crazy that day as im still thinking about it.

Im not really looking to do it for the profit really. Just wanna try and start out somehow, and play some music i dont think Nottingham has enough of. Don't particulary want to hire out a big club or anything. Need to find a place that maybe aint doing so good, ask if i can have a night there and see how it does. Just need to think how it would be done really.
  • Options
    Ok fuck it ... im gonna try and do this. May as well. Need to start researching and planning now :D
  • Options
    Yay another nottinghamese person :D
    The edge nightclub is letting people arange their own nights midweek, they will provide the costs of printing flyers and offer drinks promotions, you just need to provide djs and make sure you can fill the place (so lots of advertising).
    Might be worth contacting them (website) and find what out the craic is.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Yay another nottinghamese person :D
    The edge nightclub is letting people arange their own nights midweek, they will provide the costs of printing flyers and offer drinks promotions, you just need to provide djs and make sure you can fill the place (so lots of advertising).
    Might be worth contacting them (website) and find what out the craic is.

Ooooooo cheers mate. Top man! Will look into it :D
  • Options
    You should definately give it a go!!

I have been club promoting and djing for about 5 years now - and it's great fun..and VERY lucrative!

I have always been amazed at how easily club managers give you nights in their club to promote! Amazing!

There is loads of stuff on the web about promoting...do some searches....I will try and remember some links and post them later....

Having work up through smaller clubs for years, I am now promoting a new nightt at the UK's BIGGEST club! And in two weeks time, I have Peter Andre performing there....have a look: http://www.behindthebikesheds.co.uk

Good luck with it all!!
  • Options
    Cheers mate for the advice. Well i'm certainly looking into things at the moment. Have got some people on board to help out with some of the organising if i need it.

Havent contacted the venue yet, been abit busy with other things but should get that done by Monday.

Need to think of a possible name now for the night. Not cheesy but has to be catchy and interesting.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:

Need to think of a possible name now for the night. Not cheesy but has to be catchy and interesting.

What sort of music is it precisely?
  • Options
    Techno :D
  • Options
    Right well i've made initial contact with the venue but havent heard back from them yet. Will see what they have to say first :D
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Oooh I love coming up with names.

Incidentally, don't forget to check if you get any of the door money if you're promoting at another venue. And even if you're not running it for profit, make sure you can break even.
  • Options
    Name for the night - Injection? (as in techno-injection)
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Oooh I love coming up with names.

Incidentally, don't forget to check if you get any of the door money if you're promoting at another venue. And even if you're not running it for profit, make sure you can break even.

Well im not 100% sure about taking any of the door money as i havent heard from them yet so don't know the full details but im sure i would be able to take some of it as they would make there money through the bar. But like you say im not really looking to make a big profit from it, just want the experience of it all.

Name for the night - Injection? (as in techno-injection)

Yeah not bad .. i'll add that to the list ... of none :p
  • Options
    Well these came off the top of my head as names :p

- Distortion
    - Extacy (yes different spelling :p) but probably not a good idea.
    - Pulsation
    - Pulsate
    - Injection ... as already suggested.

Hmm tricky :D
  • Options
    Don't call it extacy - seems a bit too 90's ravey and dyslexic.

The others aren't bad. You want something that will grab people if you're advertising. Reckon you'll be using flyers? Alot of the nights I choose to go to in Edinburgh are from flyers I see in shops etc. The last one that caught my eye was for an electro-house night called 'We are... electric'. It caught my eye cus I automatically knew what the night was just from glancing at the name. So maybe you could do something similar. 'We are... techno' :p. Doesn't really have the same ring as electric but not bad.
  • Options
    Well if it wasnt already in use .. "I Love Techno" could be an idea but sadly not.
  • Options
    Balls .. well i guess the fact this place hasnt got back to me isnt a good sign. Not giving up though!! :D