Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cheap, easy to make food recipes?????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
post them here: preferably cheap, healthy and easy to cook ones!!
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Spaghetti?
  • Options
    i frequently chuck some pasta in a dish with bought pasta sauce, leave it 45 mins (in the oven, obv) and voila.

Not sure if the sauce if healthy though....definitly yummy though, and filling. And minimal washing up!
  • Options
    the frozen food section of the grocery store is lovely ;)
  • Options
    'pie': one tin of spaghetti hops, one packet of mashed potato, cheese. Heat spag hoops, place in bottom of dish. mix mash, spoon on top of sgaghetti. Grate cheese on top and grill. :D
  • Options
    ooooh yummy
  • Options
    Chop up some onions & pepers, stir fry for a while in a little oil while cooking some rice.
    Open a tin of pinapple chunks, drain(but keep the juice) and add these to the stir frying veg.
    Mix in the rice and add some of the juice from the pinapple and keep everything moving so it doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan. Once everything has been mixed up and the rice has been fryed/cooked a little- serve! :yum:
  • Options
    Pasta bake
    Boil pasta, whack in the sauce, put in a tray, put some cheese on top, whack it in the oven for about 20 mins and done!
  • Options
    cherry tomatos, romane, parmasian, dressing.

Can't beat the price and taste of a salad :)
  • Options
    Tuna, mayo, celery, onions ... whack em all together ... yum.
  • Options
    open bag, eat.

Can't beat the ease of pre-packed salad! :)
  • Options
    Fry some onions (chopped) in a wee bit of oil and sage
    Add some mushrooms (also chopped)
    Chuck in some white whine
    Add cream and nutmeg to serve with white rice

Voila. Mushroom stroganoff. You can also do it with beef.
  • Options
    a cooked chicken from tesco,and a french roll...........voila! :D
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Fry some onions (chopped) in a wee bit of oil and sage
    Add some mushrooms (also chopped)
    Chuck in some white whine
    Add cream and nutmeg to serve with white rice

Voila. Mushroom stroganoff. You can also do it with beef.

I agree with this. So easy and tastes great. I also liked the salad suggestion by whoever said it.
  • Options
    I agree with this. So easy and tastes great. I also liked the salad suggestion by whoever said it.
    It's good for feeding people at short notice. 1.5kg mushrooms feeds 10 people...
  • Options
    my fave dish i used to do as a student (and still do now if i cant be assed cooking) was boil some pasta, chuck a stir-in sauce in the pan, add a tin of Beans and sausage and heat for a few mins, very filling and you can make different flavours depending on the sauce.

another good one is a tin of beans and a small tin of macaroni cheese, mixed.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Pasta bolognaise is really easy: onions, tinned tomatoes or pasata, any other veg you like, mince and some italian herbs. This can also be used to make a lasagne with some cheese sauce (cheese, flour, margarine, milk and seasoning).

Baked potato is also a favourite. And easy too.
  • Options
    Oh, and stir fry. Perhaps one of the easiest foods to make ever.
  • Options
    A tin corned beef all mushed up, a tin of beans, an onion chopped and fried if you like it. A little bit of brown sauce if you have it. Some mash (instant is fine) put on the top, little bit of grated cheese. Wack in the oven for 1/2 hr to warm.

Its really yummy and soooooooooooo easy. The onion and sauce is optional.
  • Options
    depends what ingredients you have obviously.

Tell us what you have
  • Options
    depends what ingredients you have obviously.

Tell us what you have

One onion, some garlic, a can of black eyed beans, a can of chick peas, curry powder, a can of tomatoes, whatever other spices you like.

Fry the onions and garlic till soft, add everything else, simmer for 10-15 minutes, serve with rice and yoghurt and cucumber.
  • Options
    Baked potato with any filling (tuna, beans etc)
  • Options
    Make a white sauce by blending some butter and plain flour, then gradually adding milk until it becomes a sauce-like consistency (no specifics here, I just play it by ear as am too lazy to look it up). Add some grated cheese to the sauce, along with some salt and pepper to season.

Chop up a cauliflower (and broccoli, if you like...) , put it in a greased ovenproof dish and pour over the white sauce. Top with loads more grated cheese and whack it in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the cauli is done and the top is crispy and golden brown. :yum:

Not very healthy, but yummy comfort food!

Often do the same with sliced tatties, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. Same sauce (with or without the cheese, better with - of course) and in the oven for about 40 minutes...depending on how thickly you slice the potatoes.

For healthier stuff, I'd second the stir fry recommendation.
  • Options
    spaghetti bolognese.

(Equipment needed, one pan for pasta, one frying pan for the bolognese.)

ingredients:
    Spaghetti/pasta
    mince
    tin of tomatos
    tomato puree
    garlic or garlic puree
    1 onion
    basil, oregano or mixed italian herbs
    tiny bit of vinegar (preferably balsamic or redwine vinegar, but any is ok)
    tiny bit of sugar

chop and lightly fry onion and garlic in a teaspoon of oil(courgette and red pepper can also be nice here, but are optional) I sometimes like a sprinkle of pine nuts in it too.
    when onions have gone clear/light brown add mince and fry. Do not burn.

Add tin of tomatoes and tomato puree. You can add garlic puree here if youre using it instead of fresh garlic.

Add herbs. A teaspoon or two, depending on taste.
    add about half a teaspoon of sugar and half teaspoon of vinegar. Maybe less - depends how much youve made really. Its beeter to put too little in and then add more, than to put too much and not be able to take it out again.

turn heat down, simmer for about 10 mins to let flavours develop

I sometimes like to put some olives and a few capers in with the tomatos, but not everyone likes them, and it means the recipe is getting less and less cheap.

You can also add pinch of salt and pepper to your own taste while youre cooking or after. :)
  • Options
    ok so it's cheating but morrisons do a fresh fish pie (i.e. with mash on the top) for 89p. that with brocolli, cauliflower and loaddddds of ketchup is sex on a plate. :heart::yum:

orrrr...baked potato with anything! they're cheap and filling and you can just bung in the oven/microwave. i do it in the microwave for 15mins to soften it up then put in the oven for around 20 minutes. then serve with cheese and beans, prawn mayo, ravioli..the options are endless. :)
  • Options
    spaghetti bolognese.

(Equipment needed, one pan for pasta, one frying pan for the bolognese.)

ingredients:
    Spaghetti/pasta
    mince
    tin of tomatos
    tomato puree
    garlic or garlic puree
    1 onion
    basil, oregano or mixed italian herbs
    tiny bit of vinegar (preferably balsamic or redwine vinegar, but any is ok)
    tiny bit of sugar

chop and lightly fry onion and garlic in a teaspoon of oil(courgette and red pepper can also be nice here, but are optional) I sometimes like a sprinkle of pine nuts in it too.
    when onions have gone clear/light brown add mince and fry. Do not burn.

Add tin of tomatoes and tomato puree. You can add garlic puree here if youre using it instead of fresh garlic.

Add herbs. A teaspoon or two, depending on taste.
    add about half a teaspoon of sugar and half teaspoon of vinegar. Maybe less - depends how much youve made really. Its beeter to put too little in and then add more, than to put too much and not be able to take it out again.

turn heat down, simmer for about 10 mins to let flavours develop

I sometimes like to put some olives and a few capers in with the tomatos, but not everyone likes them, and it means the recipe is getting less and less cheap.

You can also add pinch of salt and pepper to your own taste while youre cooking or after. :)

The good thing about food like bolognese is that you can make a big batch of it and then freeze the rest.