Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to massage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Theres bound to be somebody here that can massage. I'm not asking for much, I dont need to know how to like massage a back or feet or anything, but just how to relieve a giant painful knot. Painful to the point you cannot touch it. And big and stuff. Any help would be oh so appretiated.

And since I'm asking, what is a knot really anyways?

Comments

• Options
    I know some basic massage movements from college, where abouts is the knot?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Theres bound to be somebody here that can massage. I'm not asking for much, I dont need to know how to like massage a back or feet or anything, but just how to relieve a giant painful knot. Painful to the point you cannot touch it. And big and stuff. Any help would be oh so appretiated.

And since I'm asking, what is a knot really anyways?

Thumb action..push your thumb firmly onto the spot, and keeping your other fingers still, move the thumb in little circles.
  • Options
    My jaw.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Thumb action..push your thumb firmly onto the spot, and keeping your other fingers still, move the thumb in little circles.

Yeah, friction is your best bet.
  • Options
    thank you both :)
  • Options
    Does heat or ice or antinflamatories or anything help in the process by chance?
  • Options
    Surely friction is not your best bet...you want oil so you're massaging the undelying muscle and not just the skin?
  • Options
  • Options

They don't have any jaw masages in there :p
    In all seriousness it did give me some good pointers, thanks mucho.

Anybody know how to make those "all natural" just stick in the microwave heating pads not smell like oatmeal?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    They don't have any jaw masages in there :p
    In all seriousness it did give me some good pointers, thanks mucho.

Yer I know, but when you jaw is fixed you might be able to try the other ones ;)
  • Options
    Surely friction is not your best bet...you want oil so you're massaging the undelying muscle and not just the skin?

Friction is how the massage moves are usually described - friction movements causing the muscle to warm and relax. Oil or cream would be useful yes, but its not necessary.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    In direction of blood flow I seem to remember. Though I guess when it's a jaw not so necessary.