Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

phobia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how do you go about getting help with a phobia? its something im considering as my phobia is stopping me from doing one or two things.

Comments

• Options
    go to your GP.

they can refer you to people who can help. the standard treatment is psychotherapy (usually CBT), which can take a while (waiting lists can be really long) but it'll be free. going private will bankrupt you before it cures you...

while your waiting your GP might think about prescribing you some medication to tide you over. i had beta-blockers, but i only really took them when i had a massive panic, so it's not like i was on medication constantly. there are other things you can try too. it's up to you, anyway.
  • Options
    thanks i thought it would invove going to gp. thing is i dont want to seem like a time waster because its a phobia of frogs :blush: .
    i live in a village surrounded by countryside and im always in a panic state when im around green areas. today i went out with my mum with the dogs got into a field i saw a dead frog(my body is juddering thinking of it) and i freaked, i bolted and then i froze as i realised there was no clear escape. i was in tears til my mum cuaght up with me. i just froze.
    i dont want it to be like this. my phobia is getting worse as i used to go long walks round the country side no probs but i cant now. even around the front of my flat i scan for them and cant go near my back garden with the fear and i know its ridiculous.
  • Options
    if it wasn't ridiculous, it wouldn't be a phobia. by their very nature they're exaggerated and irrational.

i can out-ridicule most people on the stupidness of the things i am scared of, and i've never felt more taken seriously by the therapy people, so i'm sure you'll be fine. :)
  • Options
    Go and see a decent hypnotist. The average time to sort out a phobia is around 3-4 hours although the quickest I have done one is 15 minutes.

If you can wait a week and/or have messenger I'll sort it out online. I'd still recommend you go and see your GP, ofc.
  • Options
    can you do that? do you do this for a living?

i dont want to like them i just dont want to be in such fear of them.

what does ofc mean?
    cheers
  • Options
    Go to your brain, tell it that it's fucking your life over and that it has to go, it's a mental thing, end of story you can get over it...best thing to do is just face it!
  • Options
    if it was that easy i wouldnt have freaked out when i saw a dead frog yesterday. its not actually nice to be that afraid of something so ridiculous and if i could i would face it but the whole point is i cant, thats what phobias are all about!!
  • Options
    Sorry for laughing but frogs? Haha that's hilarious.
  • Options
    phobia
    noun [C]
    an extreme fear of a particular thing or situation, especially one that cannot be reasonably explained

DEAD FUNNY!!!!
  • Options
    I wasn't laughing at the phobia, I was laughing at the randomness of it. Don't come across many people with a frog phobia like.
  • Options
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............just as well was about to send round the boys!! yeah i know it sounds ridiculous and i know it is ridiculous but i have no control, they terrify me and the logical part of my brain tells me they cant hurt me but the illogical part says"if you see a frog run like fook"
    it really is horrible. i live in the countryside and i can only enjoy it by looking out my window
  • Options
    I have a phobia of hornets.They scare the living piss out of me and I run miles if they come near me...... :blush:
    Frogs isnt that bad a phobia.......I know people who are afraid of birds.There were more I was gonna list but I forgot them..... :chin:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Go to your brain, tell it that it's fucking your life over and that it has to go, it's a mental thing, end of story you can get over it...best thing to do is just face it!

Yes its that simple :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ok i was awake last night for hours stressing about frogs its getting too much so i made a docs appointment. can they refer you for hypnosis?