Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Allergic reaction to alcohol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am I the only one who gets an allergic reaction to certain types of alcohol? I don't drink alcopops really, but it's the really sugary stuff I have a reaction to I think. Face and neck goes bright red and burns, fast heat beat, puffy cheeks and chest tightens. I'm ok about an hour or so after, am I the only one that has this happen to them? tbh, I guess it's not a bad thing, drink ain't the best stuff for you!

Comments

• Options
    quite a few ppl get it, i know a few. seems to have calmed down with age i think unless it just that they stay away from certain things now.

remember one of my mates always got caught off his parents when drinking under age because his face would go bright red :lol:
  • Options
    I have a really bad reaction on alcopops... I ended up at the hospital full of little spots! Although I was drinking lots of them and never had a problem until last summer!
    I can drink alcohol in any other form!
  • Options
    Robot_Alan wrote:
    quite a few ppl get it, i know a few. seems to have calmed down with age i think unless it just that they stay away from certain things now.

remember one of my mates always got caught off his parents when drinking under age because his face would go bright red :lol:
    that happened to me.

my chest goes bright red and rashy, only lasts for about an hour or so. peach schnaps is really bad for me but it happens a bit whenever i drink alcohol
  • Options
    i get that whenever i drink taboo.....so i don't drink it anymore.
  • Options
    If you can drink other types of alcohol its not because there is some special type of alcohol in alcopops.

Have you thought it might be because they stuff those things with fake colours and sugers?
  • Options
    i used to know 2 chinese people who this used to happen too, apparently its common in the chinese, but if you aint chinese it might just be the colourings, i used to have bad reactions as a child to colours and stuff.

just drink straight vodka instead pal
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    i used to know 2 chinese people who this used to happen too, apparently its common in the chinese, but if you aint chinese it might just be the colourings, i used to have bad reactions as a child to colours and stuff.

Large numbers of people from the Far East dont have the enzyme needed to break down alcohol, this is because unlike us low beer swilling Europeans they drank tea to sterilise water.
  • Options
    The only negative reaction I have to alcohol is a hangover in the morning.
  • Options
    Rather than the alcohol (ethanol) - it will probably some additive in the alcopops, e.g. colouring/flavourin, preservative or something.