Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best way to restring guitar?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to restring my guitar?
I usually just put the string through the hole,then wrap it back round and under itself then tighten it up and leave it about 2 hours before tuning it up.
I did read on the internet that Im supposed to wrap the string round the nut a few times before threading it through but that just pisses me off so I was hoping someone could tell me if Im ruining the strings doing it my way?
Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Well, for starters, you don't have to leave it sitting for two hours before you tune up.

There's a way to lock the string onto the tuneing peg, which I think you're doing already. I pull the string through until there's about 3-4 inches extra, twist it around and under then bend it up over. It's murder to describe but google, there are diagrams.

Then I wind up. I seriously recommend one of these, winding using just your hand takes forever.

Once you've got it up to tune, gently pull each string away from the finger board to stretch the string. Keep strectching and retuning until the string stay on pitch. Then play for a few hours to break the strings in.

The guitar will probably go out of tune over night but that's normal.
  • Options
    Wrap it around the nut? Do you mean the bridge? How can you wrap a string around the nut?

Depends on the bridge too though.

I always string up, then play for a bit, leave the guitar for a while, then retune. Plus when stringing up I trim the lengths of the strings down, but then bass strings are just a tad thicker than normal guitar strings...
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    Wrap it around the nut? Do you mean the bridge? How can you wrap a string around the nut?

Depends on the bridge too though.

I always string up, then play for a bit, leave the guitar for a while, then retune. Plus when stringing up I trim the lengths of the strings down, but then bass strings are just a tad thicker than normal guitar strings...

So much for getting on with your work eh :p
  • Options
    you don't have to leave it sitting for two hours before you tune up.
    I read that on the internet.
    pull the string through until there's about 3-4 inches extra, twist it around and under then bend it up over.
    I think thats what Im doing but I pull it through so the stings on the fretboard but not tight.......not so much to wind up then. :thumb:
    I meant the tuning bolt....... :blush:
  • Options
    The Leaf wrote:
    I read that on the internet.

Aye, I can imagine. There's a lot of duff info on the net. Honestly, you don't have to leave it sitting for two hours.

As for the stringing thingy, there is a theory, I stress theory, that the fewer windings there are on the tuning peg, the more likely the guitar is to stay in tune.

Just looking at my strat, I have 3 or 4 windings on each peg.
  • Options
    So much for getting on with your work eh :p
    Shhh. I have the attention span of an irritated chimpanzee. Could eat a banana actually...
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    Shhh. I have the attention span of an irritated chimpanzee. Could eat a banana actually...

I can't talk anyway, I havent done any work in the 4 days Ive had off work :yeees:
  • Options
    Well,my guitars only got about 2 windings on each peg.......I dont wrap it round when I put the string on.Has actually stayed in tune quite well surprisingly....if its actually in tune!! :blush: