Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help a retard with flowers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I noticed yesterday that one of the neighbors put flowers out by the tree in the yard. I asked and found out that if you want to add any little extras to the landscaping you have to do it yourself, the association won't. Though they don't forbid it if it is little.

So I want to plant some flowers too. But I want to go hardcore and make myself feel good and make flowers from seeds. But I know nothing. So I am asking for suggestions. I want some pretty and bright colored flowers. Ones that are easy to grow :p And also ones that grow best around this time of year.

I was thinking starting them in little cups or pots before I plant them outside.

Any tips for the novice and flower recomendiations?

:heart:

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I'm not the worlds best gardener, but i think its best to plant the seeds in a pot first, but this could take ages. Just do it the easy way, and get some from the garden centre, already grown and plant them that way. At least then you get to see what the truly look like when you buy them.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

Any tips for the novice and flower recomendiations?

:heart:
    growing flowers from seed ...follow instructions on packet.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    I'm not the worlds best gardener, but i think its best to plant the seeds in a pot first, but this could take ages. Just do it the easy way, and get some from the garden centre, already grown and plant them that way. At least then you get to see what the truly look like when you buy them.

I know, but I want to feel acomplished. I've started a small rainforest in my house and even though I eventually forget about them and Ed has to take care of my plants, I started them from babies so I feel all good about myself :p
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    my_name wrote:
    I know, but I want to feel acomplished. I've started a small rainforest in my house and even though I eventually forget about them and Ed has to take care of my plants, I started them from babies so I feel all good about myself :p
    oh ok then, thats understandable i suppose...but you have to take photos of them growing up for us! I have decided, you should grow sunflowers!
  • Options
    I asked, they are too big and we will get in trouble :(

Also, no pumpkin patches, apple trees (any trees) or corn.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Grow a sunflower.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    growing flowers from seed ...follow instructions on packet.

I've never looked at the packets before. Instructions on them. Excelent. Thanks. :thumb:

Now I just have to figure out what to make. I'll probably be staring at all the different ones till the store closes. I'm indecisive. But I know I want bright!
  • Options
    Are you planting them in pots outside or straight into the earth?

If it's the earth you could start by planting wild flowers (should be able to buy them in a pack) because they are quite hardy so don't need too much TLC.

Mr Fothergill's is a reliable seed manufacturer, I even found you the USA site ;)

Wild flowers

The packet should say how high the plants will grow, when and how long they flower for, and what conditions, ie wet and shady, dry and sunny they prefer. I think you can order online on this website. Tip: don't choose anything too high maintenance :)
  • Options
    Oh, I'm so excited, I grew some flowers, they showed up last night and bloomed this morning (ok, 1 of them did) and there are so many more coming!! They are pansies.
    I had marigolds but I put them outside and the stupid rabbits ate them all :grump: So I'm afraid to put them outside.

But yay. My mom's not around and I had to share with somebody, so why not the internet :p

And I so need a camera that lets you shake around and not take a crappy picture :p