Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tight people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:grump:

Tight people are so annoying. I have a friend, who everytime we go out, asks at the bar "what's cheap?" then pretends she has no money left so I have to pay for the taxi. Last time she did that, then the next day we went to town and she bought new clothes. So annoying.

We went on holiday and did nothing at all in the day because she was too mean to spend any money (we were on half board and she got free drinks in bars at night)

Another friend is obsessed with how much things cost.

I find it takes the enjoyment out of it, and it makes me feel used when I end up paying for other people.

Do you have any friends like this and how do you deal with it?

Comments

• Options
    make a joke out of it to their face and let them know how you feel?

people like that are just rude IMHO.
  • Options
    The simplest way of dealing with people who won't get their round in at the bar is to not ever buy them anything. You only end up out of pocket if you indulge their cheapness.

And if people continually keep robbing you of your money- because that's what it is- I would actually wonder how much of a friend they really are. There's a difference between being frugal and taking advantage of people.
  • Options
    I know, that's what I'm starting to wonder....I've been friends with this girl for a very long time though and don't exactly have 10 zillion friends.

although maybe it is time to move on a bit.
  • Options
    If you care about someone you don't rob them. Some people are naturally frugal, but I don't think this girl is. She knows that she can have her cake and eat it, and she seems to care more about what she can get out of you than what you have to say about it all.

I obviously don't see the good things she does, but I would stop indulging someone who was emptying my wallet so cynically. Lets see what she'd do if you went out on a night with £5. Play her at her own game for a bit, then you'll know if she's just out for what she gets from you.
  • Options
    I'm tight, but I'm also completely skint. All my money goes on my horse and there is very little left over, £3.27 this week to be exact.

If I try and tell my mate I can't go out because I cannot afford to (I usually set aside enough to go out once a month) she badgers me until I give in and go out anyway. She works enough hours that she can blow £90 on three tops and it doesn't matter, where as I have to save up for one top. It really irritates me, I don't like going out with no money, and would rather save up and go out once with £20 so I can have a few drinks and a decent time.

That said, she's always moaning about how people constantly take her cigs without offering one back, yet I've bought her drinks before now and never had one in return. So I keep what cash I do have to myself and if she wants a drink she can get her own.
  • Options
    I had to pay for my cousin all week he was up here.takes da mick if you ask me
  • Options
    I am a generous person but sometimes people get on my nerves when they take advantage of it. My 'friend' still owes me £60 from a couple of months ago. If she has not got it that is fine, but when I see her splashing out on £130 shoes and she says she can hardly afford her rent it drives me mad. It is the principle not the money. I am careful with my money even though I am generous (if that makes sense) I would rather stay in, than go out on a night out and rely on mates for money.
  • Options
    This is why I never lend anyone money (apart from to my parents) because I know I'm unlikely to get it back.
  • Options
    If I had to put myself in a box I would say I'm a tight type of person. I rarly have any money so I do have to be carful about what drinks I buy and stuff. I dont often ask for drinks but if they are bought for me thats fine. If I do ask for a drink its only becuase I've spent my money that day on food. Tho if they say no i'll quite happily go up to the bar and ask for tap water.

I hate not having any money cos by nature i'm a generous person, when people come to my house I'll always offer them food and wot not, to make up for not being able to pay for a round at the pub.

I'll never borrow money from my mates tho, I hate being in debt and if I dont have money to do something then its my own fault and I dont expect them to pay up if I've not been responsible with my money that month.
  • Options
    i totally fawking feel ya... you said EXACTLY what i wanted to say!!! i went out with a couple of friends this wknd... we went to have sushi and i bought the dinner, coz i just wanted to treat my friends... then we went to our usual bar... and after a few rounds, my friend, who did not even spend a dime yet, goes to the cutesy bartender, "aren't u gonna give us free drinks since we are three beautiful girls?"... duh... talking about integrity... i would never in the world ask the bartender for free drinks??? I have money to pay!

then we go to this club... by this time i should've gone home already since it was like 4 in da morning... but my drunk friend was driving like a whacked maniac so then i decided to stick around for her but didn't drive for her (hell no.... i don't wanna drive for her and get a DUI???). so we get the club somehow, she gets a phone call from this dude she met a the bar, those guys come with us and we're in front of the bouncer... (i insisted really hard that i just go home and didn't wanna even hang out with those dudes... she's fawking horny... then they come with us)

my friend: how much is it to get in?
    bouncer: 25 dollars per person
    my friend: can you let us get in for free? (c'mon... us chicks with two guys??? wtf? :shocking: )
    me: don't worry about money, i'll pay for you.
    my friend: no, no, it's too expensive...
    bouncer: laughing
    me: (fawking pissed off) i said s***, F***, i'm going home, give me your damn key, wtf, you're embarassing! i ain't haning out with you ever again!

People, let's never do something like the above to your friend any more! She called me this morning and I didn't pick up her phone calls. Hell fawking NO!!!
    :mad:
  • Options
    Im totally skint but still go out......my mates got a job and if we`re out with his workmates we just buy each other drinks so we can get more!! :thumb:
    Although,he has paid for a lot of stuff for me in the past,taxis and lunch and suchlike but I still try to buy my share.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The simplest way of dealing with people who won't get their round in at the bar is to not ever buy them anything. You only end up out of pocket if you indulge their cheapness.

And if people continually keep robbing you of your money- because that's what it is- I would actually wonder how much of a friend they really are. There's a difference between being frugal and taking advantage of people.

Well said, I know a so called mate who did the same to me, I started being harder, saying no etc... I now never hear from him, and I'm only keeping kinda civil towards him cos he still owes me £150ish .... from £400 18mths later, I thought he was a true friend, but he aint, I'm better off without him only problem is now I hear from noone cos some can't see what hes like!
  • Options
    im not tight but i only buy what i can afford, and i dont participate in round buying at the pub, i'll buy my own drinks because then i can keep track on how much im spending without having to worry about paying for a round.

I like to pay my own way for everything so that i dont end up feeling in debt to people.

Sometimes people get a bit arsey with me when i refuse to join in on the round buying, or taking turns in buying meals/paying for days out. They dont seem to get that i really cant afford it and that im not just saying it to blag free stuff!!

Tight people that have money annoy me. The ones which work full time but still live rent free with parents then claiming they cant afford to get into a club or something, when everyone else wants to go in and then end up paying said tight persons way to shut them up so we can get on with the night
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    :grump:

Tight people are so annoying. I have a friend, who everytime we go out, asks at the bar "what's cheap?" then pretends she has no money left so I have to pay for the taxi. Last time she did that, then the next day we went to town and she bought new clothes. So annoying.

We went on holiday and did nothing at all in the day because she was too mean to spend any money (we were on half board and she got free drinks in bars at night)

Another friend is obsessed with how much things cost.

I find it takes the enjoyment out of it, and it makes me feel used when I end up paying for other people.

Do you have any friends like this and how do you deal with it?

Why are you still friends with these people?