Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Domain Name Masking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just noticed that if you have a service like 1&1 where you can register a name but point it to another site then search engines like Google index nothing on the site at all, even though to the user it all looks perfect.

Comments

• Options
    Yep totally normal most of SE will not find it, simply cos what the user see is not what SE look for... If you want an url to appear on SE it have to host a domain, this is simply done cos otherwise people will create one website hosted in one place and then buy shit loads of domains to index them and point to the same website.

Some copy the website and host it per domain, but SE dn't like that and if they find out they will remove all similar website from their database.

This is the way it's done and have to be done otherwise there will be too much abuse.
  • Options
    I managed to keep the domain hosted with 1and1 but point it to a hosting company inthe USA that is offering 50mb of free hosting - only wish I could find a UK company like that cos google.co.uk won't show it as being uk based, which I think is a bit dim of them forcing us to phycally locate our sites inthe UK and my site is uk specific.

Anyway did a view source today and you can see all the code now which will mean it should rank much better on the search engines.