Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sickness and the other end urgh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well last night/this morning i have been really bad with both ends of my body, being sick pretty much constantly for over 4 hours which resulted in blood loss. I went to see the out of hour doc and he said he thinks its a nasty bug and gave me something to help stop me being sick.

First question is will this delay me getting rid of the bug if i take them? I have only taken one so far.

Secondly what he has given me says on the net that its given in cases or migraine related vomiting ect only.
So why has he given me this? I don't have a migraine.

It's Buccastem he gave me.

Comments

• Options
    Anyone?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your sick, here is some info about the drug your doctor gave you --> http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004672.html

I don't think it should keep you sick longer, I think you can trust your doctor.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your sick, here is some info about the drug your doctor gave you --> http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004672.html

I don't think it should keep you sick longer, I think you can trust your doctor.

Thats what i read earlier and it says it should be only used for migraines but i don't have a migraine i have a sick bug. :confused:
  • Options
    i think that when youre that ill, its just symptom relief really. hes given you an anti emetic, so in theory it coould make it last a bit longer, but you wont be being sick the whole time, so it will probably be better, because there is also the fact that when youre sick and have diarroeah, it weakens the body if you cant keep any nutrients in, plus its exhausting, and that in itself could impede recovery.
    Id take the tablets if it was me.
  • Options
    Just worrys me that it says to only take for migraines. I dont want it making me worse :(
  • Options
    If it is for migraine I doubt it will make thing worse...
    I think worse case scenario is that it wouldn't change anyting...
  • Options
    Buccastem(prochlorperazine) is just an anti-emetic. Migraine related nausea is pretty common and as its an OTC medicine thats probably its main indication but it will stop you being sick whatever cause.
  • Options
    if you dont want to take it, then dont.

Its an anti-emetic - it will stop you being sick. It wont cure the illness and it is unlikely to make it worse.
    If you tried it and it gave you side effects, then you could always not take it again.
    If you didnt want to get any medication for it, why go to the doctors in the first place. they dont wave a magic wand.
  • Options
    When i had campylobacter i was told not to take immodium as it stops you shitting (as i was every half hour or so) which makes the bacteria multiply in your gut.
  • Options
    if you dont want to take it, then dont.

Its an anti-emetic - it will stop you being sick. It wont cure the illness and it is unlikely to make it worse.
    If you tried it and it gave you side effects, then you could always not take it again.
    If you didnt want to get any medication for it, why go to the doctors in the first place. they dont wave a magic wand.

I went to the doctors as advised as i was worried about the amount of blood i was passing.
    I don't want a lecture just some advice.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    When i had campylobacter i was told not to take immodium as it stops you shitting (as i was every half hour or so) which makes the bacteria multiply in your gut.

according to my gastoenterologist, anti-diarrhea drugs are only really a good idea if you are crapping due to something like IBS or another functional bowel disorder (i.e. there's nothing wrong, but your body thinks there is).

if you are not sure what's wrong, or it's definitely something like a bug, they might not be the wisest course of action. not sure why, but he's a bum doctor, so i'm guessing he knows.

he's fine with anti-emetics though (for short term use), so i'm sure they'll be fine.
  • Options
    its because its your bodys saftey mechanism (on about why not totake immodium) to get rid of the bacteria in your gut that is making you ill.