Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Missed a pill?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Missed a pill?

As there are always so many questions and threads on here about missed pills, we decided to go off in search of some expert advice to give you. As a result, the lovely people at the fpa (formerly the Family Planning Association) have kindly answered a couple of FAQs so you lot can get the lowdown on what to do when you've missed a pill.

We have one about the combined pill - here

and another about the progestogen-only pill - here

Hope they come in handy, just remember they aren't a substitute for proper medical advice.

Hannah Spanner ;)

Comments

• Options
    hmmm...

keep in mind... alot of those have some gnarly side-effects...:eek2:
  • Options
    well i fell pregnant on the pill. i had a lil boy n h is the best thing that has ever happened to me. i know it was not planned but as soon as i knew i knew i had to have him.

but then again every person is different.

sauce xx :)
  • Options
    the patch help!!!

hi i've been on the patch about a month now going on 2. im suppose to change the patch every sunday. this sunday the 24th was my 3rd patch the last of the 2nd month but i didn't change it 12:02 am :banghead: which is technincally monday!!! did i mess up the cycle? will it effect me or am i ok?? Help me plz!!!
  • Options
    Hiya
    You'd probaby be better off starting your own thread about this to get more responses. Anyhow, I think the best thing you can do is ring the fpa helpline - it's manned by trained nurses, so they'll be able to answer specific questions like this. here's the details:

Family Planning Association Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Web: www.fpa.org.uk
    Tel: 0845 310 1334

Good luck :)
  • Options
    I always used to miss mine... is a good idea to get the injection that way it doesn't matter!!!!! I own a sex and the city forums... with a sex forums included if anyone is interested! :)

Natalie :)
  • Options
    shouldnt there be advice on the morning after pill on this thread to??
  • Options
    But surely people shouldn't be taking that regularly anyway?
  • Options
    ew...I stopped using the pill, because I gained weight and my skin became rather annoying lol.

Don't use it unless you really NEED to.
    I used Yasmins btw.

Nothing bad happened when I missed one pill, except from my period being messed up a few times, and I never became pregnant either. If you forget to take a pill, then avoid having unprotected sex the next few days (I think that's what my doctor said??).
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    Meep, I've missed 3 pills on the progestogen only pill, do I take all 3 at once now? I understand that I won't be protected. Eep.

NO lol

you take the one after the 'missed' ones, like lets say; You forgot, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, then you continue on Thursday.

If you miss one pill and it's been over 12 hours, don't bother taking it. Take the next pill instead. It's just like medecines prescribed by doctors; You never take double doses if you forget one pill lol

I hope that helped :)
  • Options
    P!nkfan#1 wrote:
    NO lol

you take the one after the 'missed' ones, like lets say; You forgot, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, then you continue on Thursday.

If you miss one pill and it's been over 12 hours, don't bother taking it. Take the next pill instead. It's just like medecines prescribed by doctors; You never take double doses if you forget one pill lol

I hope that helped :)
    This isn't necessarily right- I know that with the pill I take it is advised to take two at one if you missed a pill.

It doesn't really matter for the OP though as that was posted ages ago.
  • Options
    like i care if you miss the pill

sry but this is all beyond me, i shouldnt be in this thread....maybe i do care any way, coz ma bitch misses the pill i get her preggers and im providing for sprogs...man i do care care actually, you gotta get your shit together ladies....lol :thumb:
  • Options
    Hannah Spanner,

You've got to be careful here. FPA aren't 'expert' advisers, they're a partisan lobby group.

If people want independent advice about fertility their first stop should be their GP.
  • Options
    Last time I checked the FPA were fairly expert on hormonal types of contraception and were far easier to get hold of if you've missed a pill than your GP, and you'd get a quicker answer.

Just because you deem them to be a partisan lobby group (and I had thought they were governmnet funded, which make this incorrect, but I could be wrong) doesn't stop them being experts too.

You need to be very careful before warning people away from one of the most reliable sources of info on the web.
  • Options
    I don't deem FPA to be a partisan lobby group, it *is* a partisan lobby group.

FPA is NOT a reliable source of information, precisely BECAUSE it is a partisan lobby group. That is receives government funding is neither here nor there. It is an indication of FPA's disturbingly cosy relationship with the Department of Health, rather than its supposed expertise.

If people want advice on hormonal birth-control they should consult their GP in the first place and thereafter read around the subject.

FPA, like pharmaceutical companies, has an interest in expanding birth-control coverage, making it an inappropriate source of information.
  • Options
  • Options
    BabyLove wrote:
    I don't deem FPA to be a partisan lobby group, it *is* a partisan lobby group.

FPA is NOT a reliable source of information, precisely BECAUSE it is a partisan lobby group. That is receives government funding is neither here nor there. It is an indication of FPA's disturbingly cosy relationship with the Department of Health, rather than its supposed expertise.

If people want advice on hormonal birth-control they should consult their GP in the first place and thereafter read around the subject.

FPA, like pharmaceutical companies, has an interest in expanding birth-control coverage, making it an inappropriate source of information.

Who says they are a partisan lobby group, other than you? And your opinion is no more valid than mine.

Why a GP who has to deal with 1000s of conditions rather than speaking to someone with that area of expertise?

I do wonder why you even look on the sex board as your entire mission in life seems to be to tell people not to have sex, and warn them away from expert advice.

:banghead:
  • Options
    missed pill!?!

hey all,

im on microgynon 30, and im was 16 hours late taking my pill. usually this would not be a problem i would just take the forgotten pill then continue to take my pill at the usual time. however, my boyfriend and i had unprotected sex before realising i hadn't taken the pill and after the 12 hour mark :banghead: . i would just like to know if i should be worried or not a to wether i could get pregnant and should take further interventions e.g. morning after pill? we obviously will be using contraception following the guidelines of the '7 day rule' i just wanted to know if i need to worry for the remaining days of my pill cycle :nervous:?

thanks

grimace
  • Options
    Check the fpa website. That's got really good info on missed pill.

IIRC missing one is no longer considered a problem BUT double check that.
  • Options
    missed pill update!

phew! ok, having done a lot of research i have come to the conclusion that having taken all my last pack of pills correctly and obviously i will religiously take my pill for the rest of the packet, missing one pill by four hours should not be a life altering mistake!! therefore, i will not panic and look forward to my next period!

thank you for your help scary monster :p !
  • Options
    hi,
    well it really depends which pill you take as to what to do- read the info in the pack it should tell you what to do if you miss a day.
    :)
  • Options
    Kellie, when you say you fell pregnant on The Pill; did you miss any?
This discussion has been closed.