Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Printer/Laptop Networking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya,
So i've got a main desktop pc downstairs connected to a printer, scanner etc and i'm wanting to be able to send files from my laptop to go to the same printer.. if that makes any sense? Basically, whichever room i'm in with the laptop i can press print and it'll get sent to the main pc printer, rather than having to connect it up. Just wondering if this is possible? and if so the easiest way to do it?
Thanks alot.

Comments

• Options
    run the windows XP printer sharing wizard and then jsut print to the networked printer.
    Star--> printers and faxes --> right click your printer --> sharing
  • Options
    that doesnt work for me
  • Options
    Are the two computers already networked?

If so, just share the printer from the main PC (as softworld said)

then install it onto the laptop - start - printers - add printer - next - network printer or printer attached to another computer - then tick the second box and type in

\\nameofyourmainpc\nameofprinter

This assumes a few things, like that networking is already set up, you have file and print sharing enabled on the main pc and client for microsoft networks on the laptop, that they are in the same workgroup, and that exceptions are in any firewall software you have on both PCs to allow printer sharing / using.
  • Options
    if they are not already networked, the network wizard will let you enable file and printer sharing.
    start --> all programs --> accessories --> communications --> network setup wizard.