Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

teeth whitening

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im really paranoid about the colour of my teeth and ive recently been thinking about going to the dentist and getting something done about it.
(will probably even go to the lengths of getting veneers or something like that depending on cost)

although saying that, i was in tesco today looking at all the types of whitening kits you can use yourself without going to dentist and was wondering whether i should have a go with one of them instead.

has anyone used one before? has it had any lasting effect on your teeth?! i have to say that im fairly sceptical about them and not sure theyre worth my money. although if people have tried one and its worked i may give it a go!!!

grrg i hate my teeth :impissed: i brush twice a day and always have done, but when i was younger i drank a lot (and i mean a LOT) of concentrated orange juice. im adamant that this is what has caused the discolouring. darn orange juice!!

Comments

• Options
    I had braces for 3 years and when they came off my teeth were two differrent colours. I paid for these syringes of peroxide, in differing concentrations. They worked by having a mould of our teeth made, then squirting the peroxide into it and slipping it unto your teeth at night. Did make a differnce, but syringe refills were £20 a pop and in the morning your teeth absolutely ache
  • Options
    Arent' veneers where they shave down your own teeth and put caps on them? That seems very extreme.

I've tried crest white strips, they do nothing but make your teeth feel funny. I've tried the crest overnight gel stuff. Nothing but taste bad. I just brush every time with Crest whitening. (I have a thing for crest apperantly :p) Works better than the products i've tried.

My brother just dunks a toothbrush into a bottle of hydro proxide once every other day and just rinses his teeth with it. Works well for him and is obviously dead chea; :p
  • Options
    I had braces for 3 years and when they came off my teeth were two differrent colours. I paid for these syringes of peroxide, in differing concentrations. They worked by having a mould of our teeth made, then squirting the peroxide into it and slipping it unto your teeth at night. Did make a differnce, but syringe refills were £20 a pop and in the morning your teeth absolutely ache
    I have that. Don't use it much though these days and yeah, the moulds aren't very comfortable.

I've always been told by my dentist that home kits can be dangerous and cause damage to teeth, which one reason why I chose professional bleaching as opposed to 'diy'.

I wouldn't go for veneers unless your teeth are in a real state of disrepair, if they're just discoloured, then go for the professional bleaching.

Ask your dentist about all the options - they'll know what's right for you and your wallet! Ilora x
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    My brother just dunks a toothbrush into a bottle of hydro proxide once every other day and just rinses his teeth with it. Works well for him and is obviously dead chea; :p

200.jpg

Better off with the proper toothpaste
  • Options
    I started using Pearl Drops toothpaste. I hadn't noticed much difference but when I went home my Mum said how much whiter my teeth seemed - she didn't even know I had been using whitening toothpaste so it must be working! It was really cheap too - less than £2, although I have seen it in Poundland since!
  • Options
    Make sure your toothpast still has whatever it needs to keep your teeth good though. Alot of whitening ones lack the important ingrediants for good oral hygene.
  • Options
  • Options
    I got this thing from saves, it was only 4.99 and it was ment to be a 7 day trail thing but it hard enough to last me for ages. and it really did work
  • Options
    When my braces got taken off (about 2 years ago) my orthodontist whitened them free of charge!! :) and they were so pretty !! Now theyve gone kinda yellower thinking about getting it done next time a i have a really special occasion coming up.

I dont know what he did but if it was free then it couldnt have been that expensive of a job for a dentist to do :chin:

I love my teeth though they are quite white a dead stright after my braces :D
  • Options
    You probably won't get veneers on the NHS unless your teeth are damaged and it is effecting your mental health.

Alternatively your dentist will refer you to an orthodontist where you may end up paying thousands of pounds for veneers.

But the best option is to go to your dentist and discuss it with him.