Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cider

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If I go out on a night to get drunk, I'll do so on cider.

I don't like lager, I don't like Guiness, mild, stout, draft, bitter, grog, meed, ale.. anything.. Alcopops are expensive, spirits don't last long... If I go to a club I don't want to be drinking something I don't like the taste of.

I'm often criticised for drinking cider; particularly by my nan. Anything adverse in my health, whether it be the odd memory lapse or shooting head pains, is down to cider.

And of course, she'd know because she's owned pubs all her life and known dozens of alcoholics etc etc etc..

In short, am I doing myself any harm choosing cider over lager if I'm getting drunk say, 3 times a week and having a casual drink most of the other nights? Does the drink have some sort of dangerous attribute to it which I've been unaware?

If I can put a few health problems down to cider, I'll be slightly relieved.

Comments

• Options
    Cider drinker? Good man.

I had a lot of cider on Monday and couldnt remember anything...but its the first time its happened just through drinking cider...well..it was Blackthorn, not proper cider. I do beleive it has given me a belly, as much as i would have liked to have blamed last years hall food.
  • Options
    Dunno but my dad drinks a 3 litre bottle of cider most nights and he hasn't been in hospital yet so surely it's not that bad!
  • Options
    If you're getting drunk three or four times a week then you're doing yourself damage, it doesn't matter what you're drinking.

I don't know how anyone can drink mass-produced cider though. It's manky.

A good proper scrumpy on the other hand...
  • Options
    Cider = :sour:

Think its all the crap I drank when I was 14, oh what a total chav I was, well you live and learn with a kappa tracksuit in my wardrobe full of memories! I'm just glad I have a whole new circle of friends now who didn't know me back then :blush:
  • Options
    I drink cider if I'm going for casual drinks but tend not to drink it all night if I'm getting drunk, purely becaused it gives me a very nasty headache hangover, plus tends to make you need the toilet more in a club or wherever!
    I wouldn't have thought it poses a higher risk than any other alcoholic drink.
  • Options
    I am from the land of cider :D

Anyway! My mother always said that 'cider rots your gut' as a way of trying to sway me from it. I googled 'damaging effects of drinking cider' and it was just listed with other alcohol in terms of alcohols overall damaging affect on your health. I don't think there is anything to say that cider in particular has more damaging effects...but a wiser brain then mine might know better.
  • Options
    I am from the land of cider :D

Anyway! My mother always said that 'cider rots your gut' as a way of trying to sway me from it. I googled 'damaging effects of drinking cider' and it was just listed with other alcohol in terms of alcohols overall damaging affect on your health. I don't think there is anything to say that cider in particular has more damaging effects...but a wiser brain then mine might know better.
    There are two lands of cider ooo :) hehe
  • Options
    i was always told that cider rots your gut too...something to do with the acidity?? :chin: