Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

lying about virginity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a friend who i've been emailing for about 2 years or more from northern ireland. He's 20 or 21 i can never remember. Anyways, he told me he'd slept with 2 girls but hadn't had a gf for a few years. I told him about me losing my virginity the other night (he always seemed to like the idea of me being a sweet innocent virgin) and he went funny. I asked him why...it turns out that he has feelings for me and is actually a virgin himself" He lied because he thought i'd think he was a loser. My bf is 20 in june and lost his virginity to me last month and i thought it was really sweet that he'd waited. I'm a bit miffed he thought i was shallow enough to judge him on being a virgin. Why is it so uncool for guys to be virgins? But its ok for girls?

Comments

• Options
    I remember when I was at college, I used to lie all the time about the number of people I'd slept with. Whenever the subject came up, I just said "oh, a few people" and went distinctly quiet. I heard several blokes bragging to their mates about how many they'd "shagged". In truth, there was a huge smell in the air - the smell of bullshit. Countless people lie about this, men and women.

From a man's point of view, he thinks "well, if I tell her I'm a virgin, she's going to think I'm some sort of backward freak who can't pull the girls". I was worried sick that my first girlfriend would think that, but I told her I was a virgin none the less. The reaction surprised me. Far from being put off, she actually found it a massive turn-on. :blush: I suppose people can react both ways to this, but the point is, lying about the age people lose their virginity is not a new thing, it's almost certainly a tradition as old as time itself.
  • Options
    I don't think I know anyone who's ever lied about losing their virginity.. but some people I know have lost it just to prove they're 'mature' or 'cool' or whatever. I think girls tend to think that guys can separate emotions from sex - that they can lose their virginity to anyone they like, and not care too much about it after. I've never heard any guy say they've regretted it, for one thing. The ones who weren't in a relationship tend to be on a look out for any sex they can get after.

I guess sex has always had to be taken a little more seriously by girls - what with the chance of getting preggers.. and girls tend to carry this image of needing to be looked after.. they have a 'reason' to take things more slowly?
  • Options
    Well when you're younger it's peer pressure like anything else. I used to lie about the number of girls I'd kissed, but with the virginity question, I usually gave a truthful one word answer then tried to change the subject.

When you're older there's the idea that girls like a guy with a bit of experience and guys like a girl who's a bit inexperienced, so both sexes sometimes exaggerate the number of people they've slept with (in either direction).
  • Options
    Someone lied to me too, i didn't know until quite a way into the relationship. I was really pissed off, i would have liked to have known!
  • Options
    My first boyf told me he was a virgin, although he actually lost his virginity at a very young age. I guess he was embarassed by it which is why he lied about it.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I've got a friend who i've been emailing for about 2 years or more from northern ireland. He's 20 or 21 i can never remember. Anyways, he told me he'd slept with 2 girls but hadn't had a gf for a few years. I told him about me losing my virginity the other night (he always seemed to like the idea of me being a sweet innocent virgin) and he went funny. I asked him why...it turns out that he has feelings for me and is actually a virgin himself" He lied because he thought i'd think he was a loser. My bf is 20 in june and lost his virginity to me last month and i thought it was really sweet that he'd waited. I'm a bit miffed he thought i was shallow enough to judge him on being a virgin. Why is it so uncool for guys to be virgins? But its ok for girls?

I dont understand his reaction. Is he trying to guilt trip you because you slept with your boyfriend? :confused:
  • Options
    No, its just Ballerina wanted the reaction.

Why brag about shagging someone else to someone who you damn well know fancies you? Talk about rubbing his face in it, its small wonder he went "funny".
  • Options
    But she said she 'found out' that he fancied her, which implies she doesnt know
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I don't think I know anyone who's ever lied about losing their virginity.. but some people I know have lost it just to prove they're 'mature' or 'cool' or whatever. I think girls tend to think that guys can separate emotions from sex - that they can lose their virginity to anyone they like, and not care too much about it after. I've never heard any guy say they've regretted it, for one thing. The ones who weren't in a relationship tend to be on a look out for any sex they can get after.

I guess sex has always had to be taken a little more seriously by girls - what with the chance of getting preggers.. and girls tend to carry this image of needing to be looked after.. they have a 'reason' to take things more slowly?
    People rarely lie, but they do set it up to seem like they have lost their virginity.
    I would not have had sex had i not been in love with my girlfriend, and when we had issues, i did regret having sex with her.
    Let's not make generalizations here ;)

I actually understand what the guy is going through. When i first met my girlfriend, I acted up like this guy who knew how to please the ladies :naughty:. Honestly, I had never even kissed a girl before. It's embarrasing for a guy to admit he really hasn't done anything. Granted i was in 8th grade..

Don't look into this to much though, I'm sure he had the best of intentions, he's just a bit insecure about this.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No, its just Ballerina wanted the reaction.

Why brag about shagging someone else to someone who you damn well know fancies you? Talk about rubbing his face in it, its small wonder he went "funny".
    he was wanting to know how things were going with my boyfriend...so i told him. I was under the impression that he wasn't a virgin and didn't have feelings for me....until he told me after.
  • Options
    It's not cool for women to be virgins, a lot of men I know won't even consider going out with a virgin, they are seen as inferior. Women can't be virgins, we can't sleep around...

It must be hard for men too, not so much on the sleeping around because I guess a lot of people expect that, but the virgin thing... It doesn't bother me at all... The most shit a guy would get is from his peers.

A few years ago somebody would not date me because I was a virgin, he led me on but wouldn't do anything about it. It hurt a lot because I felt like such a freak.
  • Options
    It's not cool for women to be virgins, a lot of men I know won't even consider going out with a virgin, they are seen as inferior. Women can't be virgins, we can't sleep around...

It must be hard for men too, not so much on the sleeping around because I guess a lot of people expect that, but the virgin thing... It doesn't bother me at all... The most shit a guy would get is from his peers.

A few years ago somebody would not date me because I was a virgin, he led me on but wouldn't do anything about it. It hurt a lot because I felt like such a freak.
    just shows that we was after sex then :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It's not cool for women to be virgins, a lot of men I know won't even consider going out with a virgin, they are seen as inferior.

Really?

A lot of men I know quite like the idea of conquering uncharted territory.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Yep same here...
  • Options
    Im a virgin (obviously :razz: ),never kissed a girl and Im 18 and I dont have a problem telling people,cos I know my mates exactly the same so I know Im not the only one! :D
    Im not that bothered who I could lose it too,but I have to have decent banter and piss taking back and forth from her or else Id be bored just talking to her no matter how good-looking she could be.Connection and fun y`know?But,Id prefer a girl to be as inexperienced as me so we`d both be new and useless at it and I wouldnt worry about being slagged off for being rubbish. :thumb: Well,Id hope that wouldnt happen...........but some Luton girls. :rolleyes:
  • Options

A lot of women wouldn't go out with male virgins either. If someone doesn't want to have sex and and the other does then it's a mis-match, regardless of which gender is the virgin.

There is no consensus amongst men on whether women should or shouldn't sleep around. The most sought after girls tend to be fairly promiscuous so there clearly isn't any male bias against girls who are open to sex. It's mostly other girls who find it problematic and who do the bitching about so-and-so being a slut or so-and-so being a prude.

It's women who need to sort their own house out on this one.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    just shows that we was after sex then :rolleyes:

More likely that he realised it would be a mis-match. Sex is integral to relationships - ask any marriage or relationship councillor. You can't reasonably criticise someone who is open to sex for preferring to see people who are likewise.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    More likely that he realised it would be a mis-match. Sex is integral to relationships - ask any marriage or relationship councillor. You can't reasonably criticise someone who is open to sex for preferring to see people who are likewise.
    well virgins can learn...all you need is patience. The way i see it he realised that the sex probably wouldnt be great so didn't stick around. If he was truly interested he would.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Really?

Same here.

I'm a virgin, never been out with anyone or done anything like that and I get teased about it alot. (Mainly because the person who has teased me about this seems to sleep with anyone :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    well virgins can learn...all you need is patience. The way i see it he realised that the sex probably wouldnt be great so didn't stick around. If he was truly interested he would.

If i thought someone was quite attractive, was getting to know them and found out they were a virgin, i'd drop interest because they're on a different wavelength with different values rather than speculations on how good the sex would (or rather, might) be.

Some guys find the idea of virginity enticing, some find it a put off. Whatever people's feeling on the matter, they really shouldn't be criticised.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    If i thought someone was quite attractive, was getting to know them and found out they were a virgin, i'd drop interest because they're on a different wavelength with different values rather than speculations on how good the sex would (or rather, might) be.

Some guys find the idea of virginity enticing, some find it a put off. Whatever people's feeling on the matter, they really shouldn't be criticised.
    true, but just because a person is a virgin doesn't mean that they're waiting till marriage or anything. They probably haven't found the right person...or have other deeper reasons. Their sexual status shouldn't matter if you're truly interested tbh, it seems quite shallow.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    true, but just because a person is a virgin doesn't mean that they're waiting till marriage or anything. They probably haven't found the right person...or have other deeper reasons. Their sexual status shouldn't matter if you're truly interested tbh, it seems quite shallow.
    i think spliffie is coming from a different perspective to you though. i don't know how old he is but if he is older (say in his twenties) and met a girl his age then for her to be a virgin would be a lot more unusual than someone in your age group.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    There is no consensus amongst men on whether women should or shouldn't sleep around. The most sought after girls tend to be fairly promiscuous so there clearly isn't any male bias against girls who are open to sex. It's mostly other girls who find it problematic and who do the bitching about so-and-so being a slut or so-and-so being a prude.
    I dunno about the most sought after girls being the most promiscuous. Maybe in a club environment where everyone's up for pulling. But it's still down to looks at the end of the day. In normal day-to-day life, I reckon a good looking virgin (or at least a girl who wants to get to know a guy before having sex) is gonna be liked by just as many men as someone who views sex in a more casual way. It's just that she's gonna be more desirable to guys that feel the same way.

Edit: Oh and I agree with you about the women being bitches thing. :D