Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Order vs Justice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As I've spent half of my afternoon writing notes on an essay on this subject i thought i might as well bring this topic to the floor.
During the Cold War the concept of International Order was preferable to that of International Justice, as there was a balance of power between the United States and the USSR and it was deemed unsuitable to change this through fear of creating war. However since the end of the Cold War there have been a few changes in the International System which it can be argued have given states in the world, and particulary their governments, to do what they want. We've also seen things like the trials for War Crimes and campaigns for the ending of World Poverty.

However, it can be argued that while things can be done, they are not being done. So which of the two concepts is more important in the world today, the preservation of International Order or the attainment of International Justice?

Comments

• Options
    You probably need a mixture of both.

One of the reasons so many of its inhabitants celebrated the demise of the Warsaw Pact was that it was that it had scant regard for its citizens and tended to throw them in jail if they didn't toe the party line. Too much order, too little justice

That said if you have absolute disorder like you had in Bosnia or Somalia the only justice people got is that which was imposed at the barrel of a gun.
  • Options
    Nowhere can you have either.

International assume nations, which do not exist. All the premises for either argument are so flawed as to make any discussion nonsense.

Justice exists? Nope. Not possible.

Order exists? Nope, not possible.

What you are talking about is using massive amounts of threats and violence in a doomed attempt to create eiother one of these ideas, which is in itself neither orderly, nor justice.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Nowhere can you have either.

International assume nations, which do not exist. All the premises for either argument are so flawed as to make any discussion nonsense.

Justice exists? Nope. Not possible.

Order exists? Nope, not possible.

What you are talking about is using massive amounts of threats and violence in a doomed attempt to create eiother one of these ideas, which is in itself neither orderly, nor justice.

i recognise that they exist, so myself and many millions of others are either wrong, or they do indeed exist and you are either been deliberately annoying and/or deluded again
  • Options
    Can this please not turn into yet another "debate" over the existance of states.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Can this please not turn into yet another "debate" over the existance of states.

Should just have chosen a better topic then.
    What other options did you have in your essay?
  • Options

Sure, np.

Carry on with your myths and legends, by all means.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Or even better, the (only) poster who believes that nations do not exist could have instead refrained from derailing the thread and not contribute to this topic in the first place if he really feels there's no topic to debate ;)
  • Options
    So sorry, Al, I would have thought that any discussion of "international" relations would have been served by a factual analysis, as opposed to pandering to nonsense.

Pointing out the violence and threats needed to impose violence and order didn't seem like a bad idea either.

I quite understand you like to discuss abstractions as your a bit broken and violent, so as I said, carry on, no worries. You already know what I will say and you already know I am correct.

Sorry for another interruption, folks, please, do go on, I await your attempts at thought with baited breath. :)
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    What other options did you have in your essay?

1. How would you revise Hedley Bull's Anarchical Society in the light of the 25 years since he wrote it?
    2. What are the Implications of globalization for either international order or international justice?
    3. How relevant is the experience of the Concerts of Europe to contemporary problems of management in international affairs?
    4. Critically appraise the involvement of the UN in either the Korean War of 1950-53 or the Congo Crisis of 1960-64
    5. Does the theory of international regimes contribute to much of our understanding of the basis of order international society
    6. Does the attainment of international justice now have priority over preservation of international order?
    7. Does the concept of balance of power have relevence today? (did this one last semester)

PM me if you have anything to say, lets get back on topic. Theres a good girl ;)
  • Options
    Like NQA had said, a sort of balance between the two is probably the least bad option.

If I had to choose between the two I'd choose justice though.
  • Options
    Hmmm, sometimes for the greater good Justice has to be passed over to keep order.

If the world was Just then action must be taken to free tibet, etc.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Don't worry.

China will soon be a rival superpower. For better or worse.

TBH, Justice is the most important. But whilst we have states rivaling each other, fighting, and so forth, there will be no justice for the citizens trapped within. Unless we can unite as one... it won't happen. The call for the security of the state will just fuck us over more. Remember, those other humans like you might want to kill you! Bloody foreigners, up the walls!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    1. How would you revise Hedley Bull's Anarchical Society in the light of the 25 years since he wrote it?
    2. What are the Implications of globalization for either international order or international justice?
    3. How relevant is the experience of the Concerts of Europe to contemporary problems of management in international affairs?
    4. Critically appraise the involvement of the UN in either the Korean War of 1950-53 or the Congo Crisis of 1960-64
    5. Does the theory of international regimes contribute to much of our understanding of the basis of order international society
    6. Does the attainment of international justice now have priority over preservation of international order?
    7. Does the concept of balance of power have relevence today? (did this one last semester)

PM me if you have anything to say, lets get back on topic. Theres a good girl ;)

Why should we do your homework? :p

And I'd choose essay number 5 if I was you.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Why should we do your homework? :p

And I'd choose essay number 5 if I was you.

I've already made about 12 sides of notes on my essay. :thumb: