Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cheap straighteners under £30?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone recommend any good straighteners for under £30?

Comments

• Options
    i wouldn't bother to be honest, unless you already have near perfect straight hair.
  • Options
    I've got one thats .... ok I can't remember what it is, but I'll post this now to remind myself to look when I get home. I've had it for like a year now and it has 25 settings plus a super power one or whatever and on setting 12 or above it leave my afro hair too straight, so using it at such a low temp leaving my hair perfect and for the whole day too. Its the best. Expensive doesn't always = good. And I bought it for like $20, so like just over 11 pounds if the internet doesn't lie to me.
    I've used expensive straightners and they are quite frankly a waste, they do no better.
  • Options
    Save your money and invest in some GHDs
  • Options
    You looked in argos? I got mine for £30. Nicky Clark ones they are good enough for what I need them for. I have fine hair and don't really use them much.
  • Options
    i bought some ceramic remington ones,that work so much better on my hair than GDH's
  • Options
    My mates a hairdresser and he says that it doesn't matter about the name i.e. GHD's, but if the plates are ceramic or not. But I dont know much about them, i mean i got some cheap ones from Superdrugs and they work fine on my hair - and my hair is thick.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote:
    My mates a hairdresser and he says that it doesn't matter about the name i.e. GHD's, but if the plates are ceramic or not. But I dont know much about them, i mean i got some cheap ones from Superdrugs and they work fine on my hair - and my hair is thick.

Thats what I"ve always been told to. The plate material, like you said ceremaic and obviously the width. As your not going to get a whole lot done with 1/2 inch ones.

Else than that, the heat produced and that is all similar, just read the box and what other differences can there be. None but a stupid brand name.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    mine
    these are mine, and ive had them for a year and half and used them almost daily. i love them and so do all my mates (as they insist on borrowing them hehe!) so pop in an extra fiver and be away!
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    mine
    these are mine, and ive had them for a year and half and used them almost daily. i love them and so do all my mates (as they insist on borrowing them hehe!) so pop in an extra fiver and be away!

My sister has them ones, she likes them, I can't use them as they are too hot for my hair. Just depends on your hair type as to what straightners suit you.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote:

i think it does though. you can get cheapo full ceramic ones but for me they just don't work as well.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    My sister has them ones, she likes them, I can't use them as they are too hot for my hair. Just depends on your hair type as to what straightners suit you.
    but there are 4 heat settings? maybeyou're sister is like me and has them on the highest setting constantly, because level one is perfect for my mate who has fine hair
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    i bought some ceramic remington ones,that work so much better on my hair than GDH's

:yes: Same here and I've got really thick hair.
  • Options
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4423676.htm

They are almost like mine. Although, my hair is straight, I just use them on the ends to get rid of any little kinks. Because I'm fussy like that. :D
  • Options
    sorry to intrude on this thread but ive just got a thought, have GHD made a mint on word of mouth, everywhere i hear about debates on the best hair straighteners and everyone says GHD, maybe people just repeat what they hear and they aint actually the best ones.

same with Volkswagen cars.

anyway, i'll stop babbling
  • Options
    Same as Helen and Sugar mouse.
  • Options
    I had some Remington Ceramic ones with Teflon coating before my GHDs and they were pretty fabulous - they must be £30 at the most.

Or look on eBay for some GHD copies - try 'Hair Art' or 'Hair Tools'. There are some others that are just 3 initials to look like GHDs.. they're pretty good.
  • Options
    remington ceramic

3 years and still going !
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    sorry to intrude on this thread but ive just got a thought, have GHD made a mint on word of mouth, everywhere i hear about debates on the best hair straighteners and everyone says GHD, maybe people just repeat what they hear and they aint actually the best ones.

I've had loads of hair straighteners.

GHD's are definately the best in my opinion. :yes:
  • Options
    Conair I remember it is. Best thing ever. And dead cheap.
  • Options
    Like loads of other people said I love my Remmington Ceramic ones, I've got really thick hair and they work really well.
  • Options
    I got these straighteners today and they work wonders :love:

Thanks for your advice everyone.
  • Options
    Oh glad you got some good ones! :thumb:
  • Options
    Good choice!! :thumb: