Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

PFA Player of The Year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a thread on this already

Here are the options, who would you choose?

Player of the Year
Joe Cole (Chelsea)
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
Wayne Rooney (Man United)
John Terry (Chelsea)

Young Player of The Year
Darren Bent (Charlton)
Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
Anton Ferdinand (West Ham)
Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Man United)

Personally, it has to be Henry/Rooney and Fabregas/Rooney.

I don't think any of the Chelsea players have set the world alight this year, Gerrard is good but I think that Henry and Rooney have been better, Obviously I'd like to see Rooney win it, but Henry has been carrying Arsenal this year (:P)

With the young players, Bent was great at the start of the season, but has faded. Ferdinand and Lennon are reasonable players in reasonable teams but haven't made a huge impact - next year will be interesting for them both. Ronaldo is classy but his end product isn't brilliant (although it's improved on last year) which leaves Cesc and Rooney. Both have taken on huge responsibility for their teams performances at such a young age.

Funnily enough I wouldn't even object if it was both Arsenal players (not bad for someone so who only judges based on the team someone pays for, eh Brian?) although I do think Rooney should be recognised for his performances.

Opinions?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Funnily enough I wouldn't even object if it was both Arsenal players (not bad for someone so who only judges based on the team someone pays for, eh Brian?) although I do think Rooney should be recognised for his performances.

Opinions?

Some people on here should listen to themselves, they're the ones judging by club. Don't expect anyone to recognise Rooneys performnces this season either, until that hyped up cup in the summer anyway.

Rooney and Fabregas.
  • Options
    The PFA award means as much as the British Soap Awards. I don't really care to be honest but if I had to choose, probably Terry/Rooney and Fabregas.
  • Options
    I'd like to see Gerrard win it, mainly due to his performance in the Champions League final last year.

Other than that I think it has to go to Rooney or Lampard. Rooney because he's quality everytime I see him and Lampard because of the amount of goals he has scored from midfield which is unbelievable.

As for the young player it has to be Rooney really with Fabregas just behind. Don't see many Arsenal games but believe Fabregas hasn't fully got use to the Premiership yet and is only showing his true quality in the Champions League but I could be mistaken.

I would like to see Lennon win it as he is another product of the Leeds youth but I think its a bit early for him, he is a class act though and will be in the running for this award for a few years yet so his time will come I believe.
  • Options
    I'm surprised Rio Coker at West Ham didn't get a mention for young player.

If Arsenal win the Champions League, Henry will probably get it. If Man Utd win the league, Rooney will get it. Otherwise, they won't look outside of Chelsea, and I'd say Joe Cole has been their best player. Lampard hasn't been anywhere near his best this season, even though he's scored a lot. Terry's a possibility, but they don't often give it to defenders. And bear in mind that despite it being player of the year, they don't seem to consider anything beyond about 3 months ago. Is it player of the season though, or player of the year, because I'm sure that was in December or January?
  • Options
    If Arsenal win the Champions League, Henry will probably get it. If Man Utd win the league, Rooney will get it. Otherwise, they won't look outside of Chelsea, and I'd say Joe Cole has been their best player. Lampard hasn't been anywhere near his best this season, even though he's scored a lot. Terry's a possibility, but they don't often give it to defenders. And bear in mind that despite it being player of the year, they don't seem to consider anything beyond about 3 months ago. Is it player of the season though, or player of the year, because I'm sure that was in December or January?
    It is the Players' Player I believe, voted by the players in the premiership so the winning of any titles won't come into it I don't think as I believe the votes will be taken before the end of the season, I may be wrong though.

Also think Terry won it last year so saying Defenders don't get given it is a mistake, again I could be mistaken lol. Not fully with it today.
  • Options
    Rooney should get the main award, and Bent should get the kiddies prize.
  • Options
    Also think Terry won it last year so saying Defenders don't get given it is a mistake, again I could be mistaken lol. Not fully with it today.
    There's so many of these bloody awards, I lose track.
  • Options
    Why is Rooney in both catagories?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I think because he's never won the young player award, so he can still win it. Like being in the Brits and being up for best new act and best band at the same time.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Erm... cos he's still young?
    Lampard because of the amount of goals he has scored from midfield which is unbelievable.

He started very well but he's faded big time over recent months. If he'd kept it up then I think he would have been the banker.

Any coincidence that it happened at the same time as Chelsea declined?
  • Options
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been a thread on this already

Here are the options, who would you choose?

Player of the Year
    Joe Cole (Chelsea)
    Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
    Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
    Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
    John Terry (Chelsea)

Young Player of The Year
    Darren Bent (Charlton)
    Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
    Anton Ferdinand (West Ham)
    Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Man United)

Joe Cole - Most improved player
    Steven Gerrard - MVP
    Frank Lampard - kept his form from last year
    Thierry Henry - been injured, has been "missing" in too many big games
    Wayne Rooney - best player should be a team leader not a whining scouser
    John Terry - as good as Carragher this season, yet Cara is not in here!

For me - Gerrard

Young 'uns

Darren Bent - lets see if he does well next year
    Cesc Fabregas - very much blown out of proportion after the Juve game
    Anton Ferdinand - good, but still lot to learn
    Aaron Lennon - not consistent enough
    Cristiano Ronaldo - dives too much, not a good role model
    Wayne Rooney - not really that young anymore, but easily the best of the 6

For me - Rooney

Also, I too am surprised Rio Coker is not on the list!!
  • Options
    For me :-

Joe Cole
    Anton Ferdinand
  • Options
    Benayoun.
  • Options
    lol edit
  • Options
    Rooney for the main award because he's been brilliant all season.

Febregas for the junior award because he has shown so much maturity beyond his years, especially in the Champions League.